Scaling work area for small objects

Apologies but what I’d like to design is small compared to the offered default. Just 30mm long and 25mm wide made up of a number of individual components. I simply cannot see how to adjust the ‘work space’ so I can see all I need to see in the detail I need.
I’ve tried YouTube and searching the instructions, but suspect I’m not using the correct search term!!
Would someone be kind enough to give me a pointer?

Zoom in with the scroll wheel on your mouse. Or start by drawing a small rectangle about the size of the model you’re creating. Then use Zoom Extents to zoom into it.

If the object is quite detailed you will find it easier to work with units set to meters and treat millimeters as meters. It avoids potential issues with tiny faces. I did that for this model.

Thanks Dave. If you hadn’t mentioned ‘zoom extents’ I’d be old and wrinkly before I’d have worked it out!!

Kinda understand the setting of scale to metres. However does that not impact when exporting something? I’d be looking to have somethings 3d printed and 25M long may not fit through the letter box to well… :wink:

You can scale down before exporting the .stl file. Or if your slicer software allows it, you can export at full size and import as millimeters. The .stl file has no units. Test the export/import stuff with a sample to see how it goes.

1 Like

Ahh. Okay sounds like a plan…

Just one more (simple) question. How do I create a hole in something? Sorry to be a pain.

Depends on the hole and the object you’re working on. Might be as simple as drawing a circle and using Push/Pull to push the face through to the opposite side.

It would be easier to give you specifics if we knew what you are modeling.

You aren’t being a pain. Yet. :smiley:

Plenty of time yet …

Let’s say I’m trying to model a ‘washer’.

I’m assuming that I have to analyse each part I’m trying to model to break it down into a series of uncomplicated parts and then deal with each individual part. I’ll have to worry about joining them all seamlessly later I suppose.

If I were modeling a washer I would draw a circle for the outside diamter, another circle for the inside hole, delete the inside face and then extrude with Push/Pull to the thickness of the washer.

I generally model everything in place rather than moving them into place after modeling them.

Thank you. Makes sense. Let battle commence :wink:

1 Like

Okay. I’m back. Temporarily defeated.

So I created a hex shape, attached it to a washer and put a hole through their middles. :thinking:

My mission is to machine away some of the hex wall from the outside with a circular tool. So part of teh wall goes and the internal corner left is rounded.

By fiddling around with the line tool I worked out how to inelegantly get my dims correct but when I remove bits I seem to be left with a hollow structure! Oh and I dont seem to be able to take away only a bit of the internal wall. It seems all or nothing!
Then there’s the round bit in the corner. I assume I use the arc tool to create a plane (prob wrong word) for this and then increase its depth…

How do I keep it solid?

Save your work and upload the .skp file here so I can see what you are doing.

TW Mk2 Body 001.skp (231.5 KB)

this is what I’m trying to achieve

Based on your .skp file, I just drew edges across the bottom face of the hex and used Push/Pull to push up the face.
Screenshot - 3_8_2022 , 4_37_38 PM

Besd on what you show in your photo, though, the trick is to model a cutter as below. Then use Intersect Faces and erase the unneeded bits.
Screenshot - 3_8_2022 , 4_42_04 PM

This is probably not a beginner’s thing though so you should take some time to learn the fundamentals of using SketchUp via learn.sketchup.com FWIW, this is a whole lot easier and faster with SketchUp Shop or SketchUp Pro using the Solid Tools.

1 Like

Okay. Many thanks Dave. Patently it can be done, but not simply. :neutral_face:

It’s not particularly difficult but like anything else, making it easy requires learning how to use the tools available.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.