Scale tool moves object way out into space

All i did to make the heart was use the arc tool, then push pull. How it created that many entities, im not sure.

Ok, so i do the scale definition and this is what happens now:

After you scale the definition for the small heart, make the copies as you did and scale them up. Do not scale the definition of either component again. Use Subtract as you did. Delete the giant copy of the card and return to the original one. Delete the small heart.

lol, ok, that is exactly what i did. I am going to restart SU and see what happens.

while its restarting, where did you see under entity info that the heart had an extreme amount of things?

thanks

Open the component for editing and triple click on it. Look at Entity Info.

And did you every try deleting the small heart after the Subtract operation completed on the large copy of the card? It doesn’t look like you tried that in the GIF.

And did you every try deleting the small heart after the Subtract operation completed on the large copy of the card? It doesn’t look like you tried that in the GIF.

Yes, on some of the attempts and it was a no go, but the last attempt, i did not. However, after a restart of SU, i tried it again, eneroth works this time at 1000 times, AND the heart does copy over and all is well.

I do not get why eneroth plays nice for me about 65% of the time. But today, no matter what i tried, eneroth would not make the cut. always came back with an error. I guess next time, if eneroth erros again, just restart SU and try again.

Ok, for the heart, i have no idea why it has 1800 entities. I just used arc tool, made half of it, then rotate copy, move. Granted i was tracing an image so i could get the shape i wanted and i had about 3 arc total for one half of the heart, but thats to be expected. why it created that many, i do not know. Is there a way to limit that down or remove some?

thanks for all the help, tips, advice and above all PATIENCE with me on this haha:)

The closest two arcs to the tip have 98 segments each whilst the others all have 12 segments. You must have made them 98 segments at some point, the default is twelve. You would get away with just 12 segments especially for those two I think.
Also in creating more segments, it has the knock on effect of creating smaller faces for the Solid Tools to work on. I haven’t tried but you may have gotten away without any Scaling or “Daving” by just using fewer segments.

3 Likes

hmm, yes, now that i look at the heart more. it is 98 and 12 for the segments. I probably typed it in by habit since i usually create my drawings in meters first then use tape tool to scale down. So when i make circles, i like them smooth so i use something like 48 or 98 segments so when i 3d print my designs, the circles come out smoother. But yes, i must have done that by habit to have a mix of 98 and 12.

thanks for pointing that out to me. the extra segments is what was causing the error in eneroth:)

Comment: perhaps choosing 96 would be the logical multiple of 12 !
With of course many more useful divisors 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48 !
Whereas 98 is only usefully divisible by 2, 7, 14, 49 !

Other options like 12, 24, 36, 48 , 60, 72,…120 might also be more…

1 Like

dang it! i always do factors of 12, but i must have hit 98. i am on a very small keyboard haha. Still, even if i did 96, that can make alot of faces as you say:) 12 or 24 for the size i was at should have been fine.

The trick is to know how many sides is fine and how many are not haha. with circles, to many sides makes eneroth error as well, but if i go to low, my 3d printer prints them funky haha

Not neccesarily, as it did work in the end but I think it were a factor. My point were that you could have used fewer segments to represent the part and simplify the thing, and then possibly avoid having to deal with smaller geometry at all. Sometimes, say with curved/rounded parts there will be many small faces that are unavoidable that’s where the Dave Method really comes into its own.

All I can really say is after you draw an Arc, question whether it represents the curve you want. You can lower or increase the number of segments, but I would always aim for the lower region. You’ll probably find that 48 sides at highest will do most things, it does for me anyway.

1 Like