Running SketchUp 2017 Via VPN Launching Issues

One example that makes me think that I’m right is that I can VPN watch Flash or Unity plugin content on my iPad, even though iOS doesn’t support plugins at all. The remote machine is simply sending a picture back, all the local machine is doing is sending mouse and keyboard actions. It isn’t accessing the GPU at all. It’s the remote machine that does that.

Thanks again. I guess I will just have to leave a copy running whenever I am not in the office.

I have the same issue of VPN not working with SketchUp 2017, but strangely, I had seen that machines with Quadro works without issues and GTX will fail. As I don’t really understand this behavior, I will have to investigate further.

It’s been a while since I was on this forum searching for solutions. I accidentally came upon something that worked for me. I installed TeamViewer on my work computer (running SketchUp 2017) and on my home PC and Mac. If I need to use Sketchup and TeamViewer is not running, I start using Microsoft Remote Desktop, connect to the work PC, start TeamViewer, then disconnect from Remote Desktop. Once on my PC through TeamViewer, I start SketchUp 2017 and get absolutely no graphics, hardware acceleration, or any other errors whatsoever.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Has anyone else tried launching SketchUp in a remote session to a laptop?

We’ve been looking for a solution to this for quite a while and recently stumbled on the fact that we can launch SketchUp successfully if we RDP to a laptop. Using Remote Desktop to connect to a workstation fails with the error noted in the original post, but all of the laptops, which are not at all identical, can run SketchUp remotely.

What we’ve ruled out:

1. Doesn’t matter if the laptops are on WiFi or the LAN.
  2. Some of the laptops and workstations use the same OS and Build (all are Windows 10 64-bit), others do not. It doesn’t make any difference.
  3. There are Lenovo and Surface Pro/Book laptops. SketchUp will launch in an RDP session to all of them.
  4. Some of the laptops have a discrete graphics card and some do not. Some are discrete nVidia, some are Intel on board the CPU.
  5. All of the workstations have 8 GB GPU RAM. The Surface Books with discrete GPUs have 2 GB RAM.
  6. All of the workstations use nVidia GTX cards, as do two of the successful laptops.

If someone could try remoting into a laptop and launching SketchUp I’d be grateful.

Wham ! Thank you Ghost, the most recent batch worked like a charm…
Thank you

Can you also tell me for sure if it works with VPN? Also tell if it only works with some specific VPNs. Like I am using Ivacy VPN will it work with it.

A VPN is typically a network only thing and has nothing to do with graphics cards etc.

The real question is what software are you using to render the screen on the host machine.

We regularly access machines via zoom, teamviewer, quickassist, parsec , teams etc without issue:
The VPN part is irrelevant.

I act sounds like it is one of the VPN products that users might use to hide their location or block ads and certain types of traffic.
You’d probably be better asking the VPN provider if it will work with the domains and ports that SketchUp uses

You may also find that the login systems that are use see the total* anonymity of your own VPN as inherently suspicious (particularly if the VPN server itself is not on the spectrum of trusted sources that various systems refer to).

Using one of these types of VPNs will naturally invoke other systems being protective and may refuse you accessed whether this is SketchUp or someone else.
You’ll struggle to find much help on this subject as it rapidly becomes complicated and often put of your hands to solve.

What version of SketchUp are you using? There is no SketchUp Free (web) 2019 as you listed in your profile.

I am using 2021

There’s no Free (web) 2021 either.

just the free web version

Then you know that version runs in your internet browser so no need to launch SketchUp with VPN.

Actually I am using the vpn on my windows desktop

But that has nothing to do with running SketchUp for Web.