Resizing part of a component/group

Hi
I need to make this sideboard, the blue part (it’s part of a bed) shortet, as shown in the lower part of the image.
sideboard

I want to keep everything within the red circles the same size after as before.
I tried the scale tool, but then everything is scaled - not just the center.

Some ideas/tips/tricks about how I do this would be great.

-TEK

Open the component/group for editing, select the parts at the end and use the move tool to move to the length you want.
GIF 27-05-2022 8-09-34 PM

3 Likes

Ahh, great!
I did think of that, but I was unable to select just those parts. When I selected as you show in the video (how the heck did you create that so fast! :smiley: ) it selected the whole side.
But based on how it should have worked I figured out that I had done something so that my component was actually two components. After exploing both it worked just as you show.

Thanks a lot!

You probably know this but for anyone else coming along, notice that I select from left to right, this selects only what is contained entirely within the selection fence, so it doesn’t select the long faces. Right to left will select anything it touches.

1 Like

That approach change the length of same components.

My “Worflow”:
I do make separate components like the small square box, a box with the mounting inset and finally a large square box.
Then i can use these components to make the requried parts - this allows me to change the size of the parts separate and also i can change details on the comonents.

Here an example of my work - a part of my porsche projects: The Mechanical fuel injection (MFI) pump for an 8-Cylinder and an 12-Cylinder Engine.
The shape of Mount-Points are identical on both MFI. So i made a part where the bolt and nut is located and a “connector” part. Both are components. And then i could easy adjust the length of the connector for both MFI:

Cheers
Torsten

By the way, you should not need to explode a group or component in order to modify the contents of the group or component. Just open the group or component (double-click when the Select tool is active, or right click and Edit Group or Edit Component from the context menu). Then you can edit within the contents.

3 Likes

Nice pickup @TDahl I didn’t even notice that when I read it.

Thanks, that’s great tips.
I tried to make different it as different components in a test model now, it seems to be working really great.
I will start using that approac from now on and forward.

Beside that, I got the model good enought for now.

Now I have to show off some details and add some measurements, so that I may create my work drawings before I head down into the workshop and starts building…
One thing I’m wondering is exploding views. When you detach every part and show how each part will look before assambled.
Something like this. To get this I create a separte layer, copied the components onto that layer and moved them around with only that layer visible. Is that a good way to do it?

That’s one way to do it. I generally assign tags to components by the kind of part they represent so I can show different sets of parts in different scenes. For the exploded view I move a copy of the model off to one side and back a little bit as shown below.

With my tag organization I can then show, say, just the headboard assembly or just the footboard in a given scene.

Great, I’ll try that!

1 Like

FWIW, here’s what my overall exploded view looks like for that model.

And using the same headboard components, I have a parallel projection view for dimensioning.

By the way, you mention layers. What version of SketchUp are you actually using? Your profile says SketchUp Free (Web) but there are no layers.

I’m using SketchUp Free (web), and you are correct.
I should have said Tags, not Layers.
I actually belived that Sketchup had just renamed Layers to Tags as it seems to work much the same, but I do not know. May be very different things.

No worries.They did rename layers to tags and in most ways things work the same but tags get put on objects (groups, components, dimensions, and text.

Clarification on the version is helpful because it lets us know what tools you have available to you.

This was fun.

Thanks a lot for all the help, tips and hints. It was very useful!

I learned a lot about selection, move/copy, tags and scenes.

I made one copy of the model for the exploded view.
Then I used tags and scenes for different views and details. I did not need to use planes, but I did look into it, but for this model it did not seem to add much value.
As this is only for myself (and creating screws seems a bit daunting) I have skipped any metal hardware.

Now I just have to build it :wink:

6 Likes

show us pictures of the build, please.

What are you using for the joiners between the side rails and legs? How are you making the bent pieces that support the headboard so that they match?

Sure, just do not expect things to happend fast :wink:

I’m using these to make the break down connections.

For the permanent tenon/morise joints I will use wedged tenons, as shown in this updated drawing:

A more detailed and accurate description of the joint

For bending I will make a form to shape the supports. Either you make thin strips and glue them together using the form, or you heat/dampen them and then mount them in the form.
After cooling/drying they will stay in the same shape as the form.

Very good. Fox-wedged tenons. You’re a brave soul. :smiley:

I’m familiar with the different ways to bend wood. I was just curious which method you’ll use. Will you bend a single wider piece and then split it into two?

You are ahead of me :wink:
I’ll figure that out when I get there. But you do have a point. My initial though was to do each peace by itself.
If you do them as a wide pice and divide them afterwards the bending itself will be harder to do. But I’m more concerned that the internal forces in the wood may cause the two pieces to behave differently after the split.

I have not been doing much bending (but I have tested and do know that beech bends really well).
Any recommendation on methods to use?

I’m not sure about that.

It’s not unusal to bend a wider piece and then rip it into two pieces. Generally easier to ensure the same bend. No reason for a wider piece to be more difficult to bend or more likely to split. That’s based on thickness, after all.

I would be inclined toward laminate bending for this.

Yeah… I’m considering drawboring as an alternative, but if I do that it will ve from the inside and not trough to the outside. She do not want visable drawboring holes.
But yes, those fox-wedged tenons only gives you one attemt :flushed: