Resizing a group of components

I’ve built my cabinet: sides, top and bottom, shelf, door. Each part is a component, and the entire unit is a group.

Now, I’ve decided that it needs to be longer. I know that I can take an individual piece and stretch it; the door, for example. But how do I go about resizing the unit? I gather that I have to go inside the group. Do I explode it? Should I move the entire unit away from adjoining pieces? Should I remove the doors, and resize the carcass by itself, or can I do it all at once? How do I then regroup the newly sized piece? (I guess that’s not a problem if I’ve moved it away.)

If it’s not too much trouble, step-by-step for a newbie, please!

Thanks for the help, so far. Nice folk on this forum.

If you wanted the entire thing to scale uniformly, you could select the group and use the scale tool. But that is probably not what you want. For example, you probably want boards to stay the same thickness as originally, but to make them longer or wider.

So:

• open the Group for edit by double click
  • draw some guidelines for the new size
  • move the ComponentInstances in the Group out to the appropriate corners of the new size
  • open the ComponentInstances one-by-one by double-click and stretch them to the new size. For simple boards this just requires the push-pull. For more complicated shapes you will need to do more elaborate edits, but without seeing your parts I don’t know exactly what. Often it is a matter of selecting all the geometry comprising an end and moving that unit in the desired direction.
  • To return to the Group edit, click outside the current Component’s bounding box but still inside the Group’s bounding box.
  • when everything is in the right place and correctly sized, click outside the Group’s bounding box to close the edit.

Think I understand! I’ll give it a whirl, and let you know how it went.
Thanks,
Mike

If you are using the Pro version then creating dynamic components would be the way to go.

you will need to change the cabinet group to a component.

However assuming you are using the “make” version, then the approach is to make a series of swappable components. I suggest you work with a file that will contain all the different configurations of the object, this will eliminate any potential cross-talk, or unwanted update. Once an object is finished you can right click and save it as a component to the appropriate folder. You should always edit in your main object file, then right click and save the updated component, overwriting the previously saved one.
.So copy the first cabinet, make it unique, then select the inner components that you wish to change and right click and make them unique, alter them as required. when happy save the component giving it a descriptive name. So build a library of different sized cabinets.
It may pay to upload your file so that we can help in more specific terms than generally.Could you indicate whether you can or wish to use dynamic components?

cheers
Philip

Thanks for the idea, but no, I’m using the free version.
M

Here’s a gif of the process I described for a very plain cabinet.

as the shelves are components, one would need to select them and make then unique before the change, otherwise the shelves on the existing cabinet will also change

Thanks for those tips. One of these days, I’ll learn.

You should post your model here and you will get a better answer.
Several things to keep in mind ; Component definitions are invariant when you move, scale, rotate. Therefore scaling an instance in your model does not affect the same component size else where in the model, It will change if you are in the edit mode. For that case you would make the one you are changing unique and it will then not affect others
There are two types of scaling: Total model using the tape tool and then individual entities like a component instance using the scale tool. For a simple picture frame if you want to make rails longer the stiles may also scale proportional in width which you would not want. Some plugins like Fredo’s scale tool allows you to strategically place a cutting plane and then the total model can be stretched about that without forcing a major redraw of its other entities. Need to see your model to give definitive answer.
If model size .> 3MB you may need to upload to file sharing site like drop box then post URL here so we can find it or use the 3D warehouse.

It’s very difficult to help you learn when we don’t know exactly what you’re trying to accomplish.
Posting the model helps us help you.

I’ll be happy to do so. Do I need to do anything special, or just post the .skp file?

No need to do anything special except for being aware of the 3MB file size limit.

Like you said…

Here’s the file.

I got it figured out, though, due to all the help! I did it in sections: first I extended the sides, then moved the shelves, and then pulled the bottom of the doors down.

Boy, am I having fun!

cabinet model.skp (86.8 KB)

Look at the component definition named Component#20 aka the Top, Bottom and Shelf of the cabinet.
You made the geometry a Component.
But it appears you edited the Component and made the geometry a Group inside the Component.

Isolating the geometry once is sufficient.
There’s no need to nest the Group inside the Component.
You could (should) edit the Component and simply explode the Group.

Tip:
Click … Window > Entity Info
Select each Component in turn and rename the Component Definition to something meaningful.
Giving a meaningful name to each Component Instance may be beneficial as well.
It’s easy to know what’s what in a simple model.
But in a larger model, say, an entire kitchen, you’ll save yourself a lot of time and confusion if you name things as you create them.

Best practice is to keep Entity Info open while you’re modeling.

I’ll look onto that. Thanks!
M