Resizing floor plans / correcting construction documentation during the build process : There Must Be A Better Way!

Hi Guys!
So, a large part of what I do with SU is custom cabinet and storage design.
I have done a ton of work in other programs (that were proprietary to my previous employers) - but am fairly new to SU.

I typically start with blueprints, work on preliminary mock ups for the end user, and then - inevitably - the actual room sizes will be different from the blue prints (for obvious reasons).

Once we reach this point, I have to correct the room dimensions, re size the cabinetry, and re do the dimensions in my production documentation (I provide plans, elevations, and 3D images to the contractors / carpenters who carry out the actual installation).

Typically, I end up starting a new SU file, re drawing the room with the correct dimensions, and copy/ pasting the components (I usually do a wall of cabinets as a group of components so I can paste and then scale the whole group)

It seems to me that there should be a faster/ easier way to accomplish this task.
I have considered drawing all walls as individual objects (instead of what I do now, which is to create an outline of the footprint, follow me to create depth for the walls, then push/pull for needed height). That should allow me to use the tape tool to resize the individual walls…

BUT
I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum :slight_smile: and I also know that there is a lot I am still learning.

Any thoughts to suggestions that you might have on a better/ faster way to tackle this are very welcome :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

Although I typically work at a smaller scale–detailed models of furniture–I often have the same sort of issue. Some of the dimensions re different from the ones I was originally given. I also get the same thing when I’m doing kitchen layouts like you. I usually find the Move tool is all I need to make the updates. Using the Tape Measure tool as you mention results in scaling of the component or group. It’s not often I want to change all of the dimensions. Scaling a wall with an opening in it to change its length, for example, will change the opening width too.

With the Move tool you can selectively adjust dimensions without impacting those that shouldn’t change.

I agree with@DaveR. The scale tool or scaling with the tape measure tops will proportionately scale everything, which is usually not what you want. For example, if a cabinet needs to be 1inch wider over a 36inch span, you usually don’t want the door stiles to also be 37/36 as wide as originally drawn. That would really muck up your cut list! It’s more work, but the move tool will let you keep absolute sizes where you need them.

Thanks, guys :slight_smile:
Yes - making a mess of my cut lists and/ or making a whole lot of unnecessary work for myself is def on my ‘no thank you’ list :wink: !!

For all of the headaches created by the software that I was using most recently, the fact that walls displayed dimensions that you could just double click, edit, enter - done, and do the same with cabinet widths, and doors would automatically re size…was really nice lol

So, lets say you have a cabinet that needs to be 2" wider, and you have a pair shaker doors, are you guys moving each line over (re setting the center, re calculating the correct gap, then re sizing each door w the move tool)?

And, if you were working on something more detailed, perhaps a dresser, with joinery details drawn in corners, drawer boxes drawn out, and let’s say 5 piece drawer fronts - and you wanted to make the finished model 6" more wide.
Would you ‘cut’ the object w a line/ rectangle, move each ‘half’, and re connect, or, would you do it all w the move tool?

And, is it possible to assign ‘rules’ to components in the Ruby Console, perhaps to create a template for Shaker doors, with a set center and gap, and create Full and Half overlay options that COULD be more easily resized?
I have not yet done a lot of digging into the power of RC but have tripped across some things that are really intriguing!

Just thinking ahead :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Assuming you’ve made components of each part of the cabinet and the door just like the real one would be made from, I would move one case side and one face frame stile over 2 in. Then I would edit the face frame rail component and probably just use Push/Pull on the appropriate end to bring it over to meet the stile. The same would be done with the other lateral parts of the cabinet.

In the case of the door, I would do the same sort of thing but if there’s joinery (stub tenons on the ends of the rails or maybe some sort of coped profile, I would drag a left to right selection box around the end that needs to move so I select only the end detail and use Move to move it.

No. I’d do the same thing as above.

As an alternative, you could use FredoScale which can stretch the center without affecting the end geometry. however I have mixed results with that and prefer to use the Move tool. With a little practice it’s not at all difficult. When I’m modeling up a kitchen that has all custom sized cabinets, I only draw one. Then I copy and modify the copies as needed to make the rest.

1 Like

The proper selection of lines and faces with the move tool can do the stretch, but only withing a given context. Here’s a window modeled as only one context level, being stretched 4" wider.

If the window component was made of sub-groups like frame, sash and glass, you have to repeat this move for each context level. In PowerCADD, I’m used to a plug-in selection tool that reaches through all levels of grouping to do the same operation in one move (Wild Tools - Move Points tool). I found a SU plugin that seems to be similar called T2H Stretch by Area. You can try that and see if you like it.

1 Like

In fact, here’s a real world example I’m just working on now. Existing condition survey of a house, partly measured with a Leica Disto and drawn accurately, and partly done with Match Photo. I’m putting a skylight on the roof that starts as a generic size and then gets resized to match the photo.

3 Likes