This discussion makes me feel like I just walked into the middle of an argument that I don’t quite understand. I honestly don’t get what the problem is/why it exists, but typically when I post here it’s because I run into something that “is not an intuitive behavior,” and I can’t seem to find an answer or a clear answer googling (in this case I didn’t see any answers that directly covered the problem I was seeing).
Honestly after playing with this and “fixing” it I’m even more confused.
Anything I tried to do with it in my current model caused sketchup to crash.
Before I had an answer here I re-downloaded the motor model and saved the file, opened it in another sketchup window and tried to resize it there, select it all and make it a component and about 90% of the time it would crash somewhere in that process. I finally copied it from there into my drawing and it acted like it worked.
I tried the same with the propellor and it didn’t seem to work (prop still moved when you resized the model). I tried exploding it and renaming it (there was something weird going on, I ended up with it in my original model as 3 differently named components, I’m not really sure how, they seemed to show up and go away on their own as I recovered from crashes, though it might have just been confusion from the crashes, there where A LOT) and I finally have it and it seems to be working correctly but I can’t really tell you why and how I got there.
I think in the end there’s something wrong with the motor model that is causing things to crash and leading to a lot of confusion on my end, it appears to be saved at 10x it’s actual size and when you scale it to .1 things get weird but not consistently weird (link to the original model in the 3D warehouse):