Replace MULTIPLE selected objects with proxys and remove original heavy object (similar to enscape):?

Hey everyone, I’m trying to select multiple objects and turn them into proxies, in a way though that does more than what Fredo Ghost does @Fredo6 .

Does anyone know if there is a method to select multiple objects and write those objects as proxie components to a dedicated place in the users file system? For example, in enscape you can select one object and choose “Save as external model for Enscape”, it will than ask you where you want to save the proxy object as a reference. If I was to do this to multiple, I imagine it wouldn’t ask me where to save multiple objects, it would just save a duplicate of the objects name and add for example _proxy to the end of it in teh location of the existing heavier geometry…

I want to make multiple objects as proxies where the heavy geometry is removed from the sketchup model, so far I can only see one way to do this and that’s one at a time with a rendering engine of choice, I need to do dozens of plants (skatter does not work in my case here).

@AK_SAM , what do you do for large landscape projects where you want to save objects as proxies? I can use skatter, but it doens’t work for everything. Wondering any general advice you might have on all of these fronts as well… Cheers.

What exactly didn’t work?
Have you tried to partially select smaller groups?
Did you update to the latest version of Skatter … v2.1?

skr-06

Ok so for example. I want to make a rock wall that has rocks specifically oriented in precise positions, I cannot get this precise control with Skatter. So if I have a long wall if stacked rocks to make, using Skatter does not let me move individual objects and than generate and they stay in position. I can move the Skatter objects around but only the generated 3d model objects, render only mode does not let me adjust objects and in both cases, when I refresh by using generate again all the positions reset. This problem and question also goes beyond this specific issue in this Rockwall example, it’s a general question I’m asking too about how to select multiple objects and create proxies for all the objects and remove the data from the model. Fredo ghost does not remove the data… However as I write this, I’m wondering if I need to remove the data (file size) or should it be good enough to just turn to proxy with fredo ghost and move the objects around quickly? I wonder if I need to have the data removed from the model so the file size stays low or is it mostly important to just navigate and orbit quickly… If it’s mainly about orbiting here for me, than maybe I don’t need to have the data be removed too and can use fredo ghost… As I mentioned you can do this with escape but only one object at a time and than it will remove the data for that obkect and replace with a proxy.

I’m new to landscape modelling and proxies so I’m not sure what the best solutions are… Thanks for helping, look forward to your final thoughts…

hello,
vray also has this option.
Nevertheless, you can do it natively and “manually”.
basically, what fredocomp does, is putting a lighter version of your component on another tag and toggles between the two tags, so it keeps all the data indeed.

What you can do is right click on the component you want to be 'proxified", and pick save as (componentname.skp).
Open in a new sketchup instance and simplify it, save as another file (componentname_simplified) (you can also edit the component in place, exit from it and right click > save as)
Get back to your general model and right click on the component and pick reload. You’ll then be able to switch between your proxy and normal version of any component, making both your model lighter and moving around quicklier.

This process can be simplified with eneroth reference manager plugin, for example

Paul has the right idea…just saw that you posted! :slight_smile:

It depends what you want your proxies to be. A cube, or a lower poly representation, or 2d symbol for use in Plan views (like i do). Each renderer has a slightly different approach and function to working with source material (offline proxies and such).

Show us some visuals of what you’re working on…might give a better idea of how we can assist.

Saving SketchUp components OUT of a model as a collection is easy enough; just view all components “In Model” then use that right arrow menu icon to “Save As Collection” and it’ll create a folder full of all the components. You can place copie sof a SKP fle which i sjust a cube i nto that folder and then rename those cubes, so if you have Tree1.skp in your model, you rename the cube Tree1_proxy.skp. There used to be some windows scripts to automate that renaming process…can’t think where though, was a long time ago.

Getting these proxies back into sketchup requires a few clicks per component…and there are several methods available. I dont know of much faster methods to get them back in… Reference Manager would surely help.

1. using the Replace Selected function (open your new collection full of proxies in the comp browser. select the components in sketchup that you wish to replace. right click in the comp browser and choose Replace Selected).
  2. select the component in the Comp browser and right-click “reload” then select the proxy from your windows folder.
  3. Install the Component Replacer extension and use that to swap out components. I find this very handy.

In my workflow I avoid this issue with landscaping because i use components that have both a high and low poly version, each on a seperate tag. If I want to make the model simple I can delete that HQ tag altogether, eg if sending to LayOut.

For almost all components in my library, they are modelled with quite a high poly count and realism - suitable for rendering. But each of them also has a 2d symbol version - it’s both a Proxy and it’s a 2d CAD-stye symbol that is represented on site plans/elevations. So think of it that way… you have a 2d symbol for everything and can design in “plan view” using symbols, or you can click a button and your 2d plan becomes a raytraced render.
You can do lots of things like that… I do site plans where the Proxy is the ground floor plan, and the HQ version is a building with 1m+ polygons.

In the rock wall example I would build a section of rock wall and place copies of it manually to create a larger wall assembly. (see the hedge in the image below …three copies of the same hedge, flipped and rotated for variety). Then I’d just copy in the Low quality geometry (like that flax plant in my image) and delete out the HQ version.
The hedge component shows a similar approach…it’s basic copy is the exact size of the original HQ component so I can place them around my scene with some accuracy, knowing htey;l swap to a HQ version upon rendering. The texture is large enough that i can see whether it has been flipped. The size of the hedge is small enough that i cna stretch/squash it to fit around curves etc without overly distorting it. And the Hedge texture could be a pattern or something you would look suitable for a 2d site plan.
It’s pretty Low-quality, but you can adjust that. Its important to have 3d objects to design with, otherwis eyoure just doing 2d cad with 3d proxies…better to design in 3d.

On scattering Generally//
Scattering is a function of my renderer, and it works exactly like Skatter. But yes you can’t see the objects or manipulate them in SketchUp. Only after they’re rendered.
Extensions “Fur” and “CompoSpray” are two examples. Both place scattered components on a plane, similar to Skatter, but they can then be shifted manually.
There are extensions that can do arrays, or copy along path, or similar for more Linear thngs like hedges or trees lining a street.
There’s also one by Eneroth which ranomises components upon placing them, so trees get a slightly unique scale, rotation, skew, etc… Sometimes you need 2 or 3 trees of a certain species to give enough variety to the scene if you have lots of them.

For rocks, bushes, etc, I tend to copy and paste large bunches of components, rotating each bunch and scaling it slightly as I go, then I explode the bunches (back to individual plant components) and delete any of them that have landed outside of my boundary area.

1 Like

@paul.millet @AK_SAM , the advice you guys have given is killer, thanks so much for this, it’s definitely going to impact my designs for landscapes and in general working with high poly stuff. I just wasn’t sure of the best options. Cheers, I’m going to get to work doing what you guys have mentioned.

Thank you for not only making my workflow way better on this, but also the communities who comes back to this post. Cheers

Hey @AK_SAM , remember recently when we talked with Nick Sonders about our workflows to keep layout files seperate or as one. So I think we both sided on the fact that where possible, keeping everything in one layout file makes the most sense and one sketchup file, roughly anyways that was what I think you thought, that’s how I feel anyways. If the speed becomes an issue, seperating into multiple might make more sense. So here’s my questions for you:

If I have a site now that is very heavy with 3d geometry when I want to render it in layout, I imagine heavy geometry sites that render in a layout file with also a bunch of lower poly buildings (since plants would be the highest poly in a design like ours), should I than seperate my sketchup files into site and buildings, and in layout site plans and building plans? What’s your experience with that?

P.s.:

You’ve said in other posts that you have a file that is up to 1 gb sometimes, how do you render a file that big in layout to render high poly geometry in your site scenes in layout? Also do your building elevation scenes show the site in it? If they do, this would mean rendering site into building elevation scenes was necessarry too, which I imagine could take a very long time to render… That operation must take a minimum 4 hours to do a single render in layout at that size with high poly landscaping?