Rendering issues on sandbox shape

Hi everyone,

I made a pouch bag shape using a sandbox. Thanks to the help I got from some forum members, I was able to figure out how to project a texture onto it. Now, I’ve tried two different rendering programs (Maxwell and SkIndigo) and both of them get really weird results when I try to render these shapes.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don’t get why some work, and others don’t.

This almost looks like a lighting issue. Every render program should have the ability to adjust lighting direction, intensity, and filters. Try playing with the lighting effects prior to your render.

~~Drew

Hi Drew,

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was referring to the fact that the texture got all messed up on the products inside the right bin. See how in Sketchup the texture covers the shape properly, and then in the rendering the texture is all over the place.

Did you mirror the left group to make the right group?
I’ve had issues with other rendering programs if I scaled -1 (to flip or mirror), or if the face is reverse. So check to see if your faces are properly facing outwards, and if did scale to -1, explode the group and regroup.

@moberfield

I see it now. What it looks like, is that the material is tiling when it’s rendered. Is it a large scale object, by chance?

~Drew

@moberfield

Could you post a screen shot of the two different object UV wrap parameters that you have set, one for first box item and one for the one that’s messed up?

~~Drew

quantj - actually, the right was copied over to the left. The right is the original.

The issue is only with the bags, which are independent of the bins.

What’s weird is that they’re exactly the same. In fact, the one that’s messed up is the original. Uhm. I have no idea how to do see if the scale is -1 or what the UV wrap parameters are. Where can I find this info?

Sorry for my newb questions.

In Maxwell, it’s under the Object Parameters panel, under the UV sets, I believe. I haven’t worked with Maxwell in a long while.

The other option you may want to try is building the second wrap/texture from scratch, rather than copying it. If I remember correctly, textures will tile in Maxwell if the edges are off even a little.

And we welcome newbie questions. It brings another perspective, and helps everyone learn more by teaching.

~Drew

Well if you copied them over, the scale is fine.

The texture on the bag looks like it’s the texture for the box or something else. Did you paint onto the actual faces of the bag or to the component/group?

it’s likely you have distorted the texture (such as with sketchup’s skew texture ability)… distorted textures don’t carry over into rendering apps well since you’re basically feeding the renderer bad UV coordinates.

there are better texturing/mapping tools available nowadays but it’s hard to advise since i’m not positive on the problem…

can you share the model (or just one of those pouches which have the texture applied)?

Are the face normals outwards? Are all small faces triangles?

@Jeff, you can get the model from my dropbox here:

Maybe you guys can have a look at what I did and tell me where I messed up. This software is new to me so I’d love to know what to do right in the future. The image in the renderer is definitely the image that’s supposed to be there - it’s the bag texture, not the box texture. What’s odd is that it’s the texture from the front of the bag. Here’s what the front looks like:

I should point out that I got this result both in Maxwell and in SkIndigo - so I think the problem is with the model and the texture. Probably something simple.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

the problem has to do with what cotty was saying… the faces are backwards… right-click on the yellow pouch surface then choose ‘reverse faces’…

the front face is pointing inwards but the texture that’s applied to the front face is what’s being rendered.

Hi Moberfield,

As has been said…
Faces have a front side (white) and a backside (bluish gray) and renderers tend to ignore back faces.

Your ability to see and work with model geometry greatly depends upon how it’s rendered onscreen.
The active Style (and any unsaved changes made to it) controls how the model is rendered onscreen.

Experienced modelers generally build the model in Monochrome Face Style with Edges displayed.
Hidden Geometry, Profiles and Endpoints are toggled on/off as needed to suit certain situations.

Viewing your model in Monochrome Face Style reveals the faces of the bag component are reversed.
However, a closer look reveals there’s still a flaw; one face in the mesh is not reversed.

Notice it’s impossible to select and reverse that individual face.
That is, unless you adjust the Style to display Hidden Geometry. View > Hidden Geometry

For your interest:
You’ll find a compendium of performance modeling tips and best practices at the SketchUp Sage Site

Wow thanks for all the help @Jeff and @Geo

I am totally confused as to how I accidentally reversed those in the first place. Flipping them around seemed to have fixed everything. Thanks for the tip about monochrome face style.

The reason for that little blip/flaw is how I applied the texture to the model. I followed this guide someone posted in response to a previous post I had made about applying the texture to the model. If you watch at 8:30, he explains the method I used:

Is there a better way to apply the texture to the model? Now that I’ve corrected the reversed faces, those flaws don’t show up when I render in Maxwell.