Rendering in Layout Extremely Problematic

With the 2023 version I get phantom lines when I convert to Hybrid and the scale changes to gigantic when I change to vector. The phantom lines are not even in my model that I can find.
Is there a bug in 2023 or am I doing something wrong. I’ve copied a raster, hybrid and vector image of the same model for reference. If anyone could help it would be of great assistance or I may have to go back to an earlier version which would be a shame,

How far is it modelled from the origin?
Vector linework looks shifted from textures.

Are you able to share the Layout file?

1 Like

It’s hard to give you a solution without seeing the file, we can only guess, if you share the file I’m sure someone will solve your problem or tell you how to solve it.

First check what Jack told you (the position of your model relative to the origin). I have seen such a problem before, see here:

It was quite far but I moved the origin to the corner of the building, saved, updated the model reference and I still get the same thing with the Vector lines moving

Sure, it is bigger than the 10Mb limit so I put it into the attached dropbox file. The origin was quite far from the model so I moved it to the corner of the building as was suggested by others, then I saved and updated the model reference and still nothing changed. If you can tell me why this is happening it would be greatly appreciated. This is the link:

So, as @MikeWayzovski thought, your model is located at a great distance from the origin.
Screenshot - 5_16_2023 , 5_20_31 PM
Moving the model axes DOES NOT move the origin.

You are also not using scenes which you should be and you are modifying the Camera properties which will create issues for you as well.

Here I’ve moved the SketchUp model to the origin and created a scene to show it from the desired angle. I’ve saved the .skp file and relinked it in LayOut and there’s no problem with the rendering.

While I had the SketchUp file open I fixed the incorrect tag usage …
Screenshot - 5_16_2023 , 5_23_29 PM

… and purged unused stuff.
Screenshot - 5_16_2023 , 5_23_59 PM
Not sure why you need to hoard all that stuff but purging it reduced the SketchUp file size by a little more than 94%.

Purging the unused stuff from the LayOut file too reduced the LO file size by more than 92%.
Example Page purged.layout (4.0 MB)
You’ll have more fixing to do but you need to create scenes in the SketchUp model to show it as you need in LayOut. And keep the model close to the origin. There’s no point in putting it more than half a mile away from the origin.

Thanks, if moving the axis does not move the origin of the axis how do you move it?

You don’t. The origin is a fixed point in the model space. Keep the model close to the origin.

You must move your model close to the origin, you can change the position of the axis but the origin will be always on the same place.
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you start modeling so far or you just moved your model little by little and eventually got to that place?

No reason, didn’t think it made a difference and still don’t understand why it would but I’ll accept it for what it is.
Thank you everyone for your help

All geometry and objects have a X,Y,Z coordinates based on the Model’s Origin. This origin is only represented by the red-green-blue axes when starting a new file or when it hasn’t been changed (you can check by rightclicking on one of the axes and see if ‘Reset Axes’ is gray)

Moving the modeling axes doesn’t change those coordinates.

The raster setting uses a different calculation to map the pixels to the screen than the vector setting, so, very tiny differences can make an impact on the high numbered coordinates, which the combined setting, hybrid shows…

1 Like