Removing lines after push/pull

The attached component was created using the push/pull tool on an offset line.
What causes the lines and how do I remove?

Thanks.

These lines are the edges of the geometry.

Circles and Arcs are made up of straight line segments, and SketchUp normally hides these by way of smoothing and softening.

You can still see smoothing taking place in the background of your picture on the half round bullnose.

But it’s also possible to view them… and if you were to turn on View Hidden Objects setting you’d see the edges on the bullnose appear as dotted lines.

To change these lines/edges back into their previous form. Select them and check the smooth edges in the soften window. and adjust the slider to the right.

Holding down the Shift while using the Eraser is also another way to hide edges.

The curve (circle) you push/pulled was somehow exploded at some point, making each segment a separate entity, thus leaving a visible seam. Not a big deal; you just have to soften/smooth the edges running along the cylinder. Use right-click > Soften/Smooth to soften multiple edges at once or Ctrl-Eraser to soften edges one at a time.

-Gully

There are other problems in this part too (you should recreate it):

• reversed face
  • no intersection lines at end of round part
  • unequal length of the line segments
  • internal geometry

Thanks for everyones responses to my question.

Cotty thank you for your helpful animation. I have a question.
I’m aware of the technique you are illustrating. I was not sure how to add the tubing using the follow me tool. I created my tubing component by drawing a circle and line. One the tubing was created I used the offset and the push/pull tool on the round end of the tube to create the connector. I’m new to Sketchup so my work is a lot of trial and error.

Question. If I need to edit a component should I explode the component or edit component?

Thanks

Almost always you should open the component for edit. The exception is if it is no longer needed at all. But then you need to remember to also delete the definition by purging the model.

If you use follow-me for the tube shape, you will get a wrong face orientation due to the internal remaining face, the push-pull method should be used in this case for less work …

Hi Cotty- So your saying once I create the hex bolt I can draw a line from the center of the circle and use the follow-me tube to create the hose.

Attached is a zoomed out shot of what I’m working on. I’ve only been working with SketchUp for a couple of weeks. I am waiting to have Sketchup Pro installed on my Mac. Currently I’m working with the free trial version.

This is another image I’ve been working on. With past employers I created vector graphics using Adobe illustrator and Photoshop. My previous jobs didn’t require a lot of 2D or 3D graphics.

I started a new job. It requires that I hit the floor running so I’m learning SketchUp as I go. Most of these projects are above my present SketchUp skill levels. My current SketchUp components may not be perfect but I’m learning a lot and my clients are pleased.

Hello and I believe Cotty’s image shows why NOT to use follow me, as it leaves the internal face. This image is done by selecting the face of the first circles offset and it being extruded with push / pull. The X-ray shows no extra~ leftover face in the hex. …Peace…

mrwmrutski-
But can you create a long bending tube using the push/pull tool? If so wouldn’t I need to draw a line path for the tool to follow?

Mark

No, pushpull will only extrude in a straight line perpendicular to the selected face.

slbaumgartner-

That’s what I thought. If you look at my machine component with three colored tubes, they have a bend. I created the colored tubes using the follow-me tool.

Mark

They are also single walled and easier, this may help … I have modest experience and figure out ways to get it done. There are many here that have a TON of knowledge and applied time. That will and can provide more insight then me, this is just offered. Good luck with it and it is worth the bit of aggravation in learning it!! …Peace…

Tube -Elbows.skp (529.8 KB)

mrwmrutski-

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I’m working with the trial version so I can not open your file.
I should have Pro installed sometime next week. I will have a look then.

A lot the project that I’m working on are not precise in nature, so I’m creating these components by eyeballing photos. That’s a blessing because this will allow more time to learn.

To the best of my knowledge you should be able to click on the link and just select open. It will open in a new SU file that you can view and play with. Regardless of where it is Pro or Make. Also downloading the Pro version you should have access to every feature for 30 days. Then it will automatically turn to the limited Make version. Teasing you to buy it. But you still should be able to open a shared file. BUT I have been wrong before…???

There is no difference in skp file format between Make and Pro, nor between Windows and Mac OS X. If you can’t download then open @mrwmrutski’s file, please provide more info about the error you get.

You beat me by three seconds…

Once I download the file to my desktop. This is the popup window’s message.