Reducing render-load?

Hi guys and girls, I may be talking out of my back bottom, but I have a rather detailed scanned model that I want to edit but I suspect it is so heavy (presumably the rendering?) that it is incredibly slow even when I edit / create shapes outside of the group the heavy object is in. Can I reduce the complexity of how it it rendered on screen, or apply any other tricks to make it more workable? See screenshot. It’s my first import-from-a-scan-so-I-can-edit-by-subtraction-and-addition.

1 Like

that reply was a fast as it was simple Dezmo! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW.
This is an alternative, have a Reduce polygon count function as well, beside the import.

2 Likes

Thanks! When I reduce the polygons I assume this is destructive, irreversible, to the model? The objective is to import, edit and re-export for 3D print. This being a small model, app. 10cm long, I worry that reducing surfaces will therefore make the printed output very blocky and angular. Correct?

Yes. It will change your modell. You have to examine/try the “amount of reduction”.
Unfortunately SU does not deal fine with small faces, you better to scale up first and scale down after reduction.

1 Like

yes that’s a good tip, let me try! thanks

you can also run thomthom’s cleanup that would not alter the geometry too much :

1 Like

…and does not reduce the polygons unless they are coo-planar… :slight_smile:

1 Like

which often occurs with imported models !

That can happen! :blush:
(But checking the picture in a first post, I guess small chance… I may be wrong.)

Simply smoothing the model will reduce the render load. If it doesn’t have to produce all those edges it doesn’t have to work so hard.

1 Like

I agree with what Box says, plus turn off the profiles:

thanks guys - will play with all of those options and suggestions!

trying that right now but the indicated time to complete is at 2253 hours :slight_smile:

ouch ! :rofl:

Specially the “Erase Duplicate Faces” option will be very slow! Try unchecked that first…

1 Like

Thanks again for your help @dezmo - I’m able to use the scans at least for sizing components I am designing to fit them. I do ideally want to be able to add and subtract basic shapes to/from these scans but they do not seem to be solid. How do I figure out what is needed to make them solid - I can let loose Cleanup on them but it just sits there and ends up non responsive.

so you did wait the 2253 hours ! :rofl:

1 Like

No I had the scans decimated :wink: