Best way to simplifying / reducing geometry in particular for plants / vegetation

I’m after any recommendations for the best way to reduce complex / heavily detailed plant geometry without losing the size of the tree or plant. I am a landscape architect and want to do mass planting using proxies within Enscape, but still need the plant models to be of manageable size. Purchasing species that i need, most of the models are 200mb - 1gb for one plant.

When i use Transmutr to simplify the mesh, the leaves lose faces along the edges, therefore it becomes sparser and smaller. I’d like to find a way to retain the leaves shape but reduce the internal triangulation if possible.

Skimp

1 Like

Would Proxies solve the problem?

1 Like

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 11.26.34

Ulp!

I just reread some of what you said. I was thinking you had a problem in SketchUp, but it’s in Enscape that you still want to optimize the models. It seems a shame to take the full model via SketchUp and Skimp. If it’s in a format that MeshLab can read, maybe that would work to simplify it better than Transmutr.

Perhaps ask the guys at Enscape to build the foliage you need the way they do it.

A lot of the file size could be in the textures and not the mesh. Megascans for instance has a 60 mb rock that is 300 kb without the materials. You can always down sample the material resolution to keep file size down. Can you post a screenshot of one of the plants you’re working with to give us a better idea of polygon count?

1 Like

Thanks, i will try MeshLab next time. I prefer not to reduce the geometry of things in the foreground or key areas but it just takes too long to load Enscape when i need to quickly open and pan around the model for meetings with clients or colleagues.