Rectangle dimensions do not adjust upon entry

I’m having difficulty with the rectangle tool. When I try to create a rectangle, and then enter the dimensions in the measurements box, the rectangle does not then adjust to those dimensions. It just stays the same as I originally drew it. I must be doing something wrong.

Here are my steps:

1. Select the rectangle tool
  2. Click once on the starting point
  3. Move the mouse to the ending point and click again.
  4. Enter the dimensions in the measurements box. (Example: 172", 104")

The funny thing is, if I use any of the other tools, like line or circle, and do the similar steps, I am able to enter the dimension and the object adjusts to that size. It appears to be only the rectangle having this issue.

Appreciate any advise. I am a newbie to Sketchup and still trying to learn all the ins and outs.

Thanks!

Step 5: Hit the enter key

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series. It covers the basics for each tool.

I did hit the enter key. My mistake for not specifying that. Thank you for the references to the Sketchup videos.

If anybody has another tip I am missing, please advise.

What are you using for a separator like 40,60 . The separator is dependent on the language being used. For English it is the coma. I am not familiar with other languages.

1 Like

Ahhhh, it was the separator! Thank you! I have been going crazy for the last hour trying to figure that out.

A little background, I am a software consultant, and I frequently do data imports for clients. As part of this, I had changed my default separator on my system to a semicolon from a comma. I did not realize when I was typing comma in the dimension window, the system wanted the separator for semicolon.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

2 Likes

so, yeah, if you use a . for decimal separator, then it’s a ,
if you use a , for decimal, then it’s a ;

and frankly, not jumping in the . or , debate, but the ; as separator between values is quite nice, more visible I’d say. it limits the ris of this sort of mistake, since ; is NEVER used as a decimal separation :slight_smile: