Recommended Laptop

First I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area.

I am looking to purchase a laptop and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Sketchup and this notebook. If someone has a better choice (around the same price) then please recommend it.

HP ProBook 470 G5 17.3" Notebook
Intel Core i7 (8th Gen) 8550U processor
16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 memory
256 GB M.2 Solid State Drive
17.3" WLED 1920 x 1080 Full HD display
Intel UHD Graphics / NVIDIA GeFporce 930MX 2GB graphics
USB 2.0 (powered), 2 x USB 3.1, One USB type-C
HDMI and VGA
memory card reader
wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.2
battery rated at 13.75 hours
Windows 10 Pro

so how much is that one?

1579 Canadian or aprox 1220 US

GFX card seems a little underpowered for SketchUp. CPU seems OK if you make sure to set your processor affinity so SketchUp will default to the CPU core on turbo (1.8 - 4.0 GHz), consider upping the 256GB M.2 SSD (and make sure it is the PCIE variant) to 512GB, put in a secondary drive to store data. Make sure the screen isn’t glossy.

I have an older G3 model at work. It has additionally an AMD mobile graphics card. It works OK with SketchUp with recent (from this year) drivers. The driver from spring 2017 that it shipped with crashed SU. If this option or a Nvidia one is available for the new model, I would recommend it over an intel-only setup.(edit: it seems that the Nvidia option is included in the model you are considering, so a thumbs up from me)

Julian - thanks - I should mention that this is not my main system. I want a capable laptop for when I go on holidays and need to support clients. Essentially this laptop will probably sit idle 11 months of the year. Hopefully I can use it more than that (means I’ll have more holiday time)

The only thing I don’t want is to purchase the machine and then find out it can’t run Sketchup.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.