Recent files missing

(Mac Question) A strange thing has just happened. After restarting my computer, all of my Recent Files have disappeared. Not only are they not in the Recent Files menu, but I can’t find them on my computer anywhere. I have searched for .skp files and nothing is showing up. It is so strange. There are only some very old SketchUp files in my Documents.

I tested the problem by opening up a file from Trimble Connect, made some changes, and saved it on my computer. I closed SketchUp and when I re-opened it, the file was gone.

It makes no sense. (I also just updated to Ventura 13)

Thanks so much,

Susan

hmmm can you confirm that your sketchup has peen properly installed ? I mean, by dragging the SU foler icon into your application folder ? and that you are not running sketchup from somewhere else, your desktop, or worse, the dmg installer file ?

also, the “recent files” are actually linked to mac os, if you go to the apple menu, then recent elements, do you see anything ?

do you use any backsup system like icloud or time machine ?

indeed it doesn’t.

I don’t know how it would have happened, but are you now apparently in a Guest account? Do any of your applications let you save a document, and the document is still there after a restart?

In System Preferences, look for Users & Groups, and check what level of access you have at the moment.

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm that the SketchUp application is in the Application Folder etc.

And yes, they are all listed in the Apple Menu -Recent Items-. But when they are selected, nothing happens. No message – nothing. The same is true if I right click the SketchUp icon in the dock. They are all listed there but nothing happens when they are selected.

No I’m not signed in as a Guest account. I can save in other apps and the files are still there after a restart.

It may need a support call and even a screen share to figure this out. Make sure you’re signed in with your shaw.ca email, then use this contact form to tell support what is going on:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact-support/technical-question

Hi Colin, what’s the latest time we can do this today?

Are you Susan as well?

I don’t work in support, but I think they keep going til about 5pm, so 90 minutes from now.

the exact thing has happened to me.

I was working on a project last night. saved it, shut down the computer and then opened it up this morning for it not to be anywhere. not on recents, not in files, no where

im so confused and worried. i can see it in recents in apple search but when i click on it it doesnt open. is anyone there to help?

1 Like

In a new Finder window, click in the search field in the upper right. Type in .skp, and choose SketchUp Model File from the Kinds section of the menu.

Does that then show SketchUp files on your Mac?