Radial Gradient or Adaptive Gradient in SketchUp

Does anyone know if there is a way/tool/plugin to use a gradient fill or an adaptive fill on an irregular face in SketchUp to follow the outline or vectors like the image attached? We’re trying to find a quicker way than using Photoshop/Sketchbook. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Unfortunately not. I’ve played with a variety of methods over the years but never found anything that didn’t require post processing.

One option that works after a fashion but isn’t very practical is to make pillowed surfaces inside the boundaries and let the shader do it but it adds huge numbers of edge and face entities and probably isn’t worth the trouble.

I like the style used in your image.

BY the way, at least for simpler shapes anyway, you could create a texture image with the gradient and then manipulate the texture after applying it to the face. You would wind up hitting every face, though and that wouldn’t save you much work if any.

1 Like

Thanks. So do we lol.

But yeah trying to find a way where we can just change lot lines as needed instead of adding a lot more work with a graphics program.

I get that.

Here’s a quickie I did in SketchUp. The texture I imported is on the square at left.

If you move the lot lines, you would need to edit the position of the materials, too.

1 Like

So you basically made a contour for each polygon? Talk me through what you did there if you could please.

Oh I think I see what you did. Did you just make the gradient texture in another program then?

Actually, no. No contours. It’s all flat. I created the texture you see on the square at the left. I used a canvas image I must have downloaded several years ago waiting for this opportunity. By the way, what took you so long to get here? :smiley:

I added the gradient fill in an image editor and imported the image as a texture. Then I applied it to the faces inside my lot lines. I turned off Fixed Pins in the Texture context menu and dragged the pins around.

2 Likes

Yep gotcha. I think we found a faster way, but I really appreciate the feedback.

Do tell.

We’re just using a program called GIMP (similar to Photoshop) that can create the gradients all at once.

In each “cell”? Cool!

Yep. Much more efficient.

1 Like

You could try SU4U to components. It will map a component to a selection of faces. So if you make that texture a single face component you could map it to theose plots.

With a radial gradient texture from photoshop (or similar) you can bring that into SU and fill a single square with it. Make that a component. Then select all of your rectangles on the drawing and that component and run the tool (it has various options) and it will map that component ( which has the gradient fill ) to those shapes. You may have to tweak the odd one, but it seems to work.

I have a rather high poly option for you… If you do choose this, just avoiding subdividing to the point where it lags while orbiting.

07%20PM
“This plugin will prompt you to enter two colors by inputing the RGB values. It will then paint all faces in the model according to their elevation (Z height).”

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/clf-color-z

Here’s a lower poly version… It doesn’t look like quite as smooth of a gradient.
27%20PM

1 Like