Remove gradient from faces

Hi there.

I’m new to SketchUp Pro, but I’m making good progress. I’ve downloaded a couple of models recently that have a gradient on the faces. I’ve tried to remove it and take the model back to default but I’m struggling.

In the attached example, I’ve quickly repeated the object (top) and it appears as default, it is ‘plain’ with no gradient - just what I’m looking for.

I know I’ve created it at this point, but this is now more about knowing how to remove the gradient and understanding how/where the gradient is being applied in the first place so that I can remove it from future models.

Thanks in advance for any support that can be offered.

Paul

Remove gradient - make default.skp (271.0 KB)

That happens when you have softened edges and sharp corners. Reduce the softening angle with the Soften/Smooth slider.

Your model shows excessive softening. Reduced to the standard 20° works.

It also shows you have a bunch of diagonal edges dividing coplanar faces. They won’t help and should be removed.

If you want the edges to be rounded over, apply a radius to them.

I radiused the edges here and you can see there’s no weird gradient. I didn’t bother with the plinth, obviously.

Amazing, thanks for your help Dave. Out of interest, can you think of why the original creator would put in these diagonal edges? Can you think of a purpose they might serve? Also, would I have to delete the diagonal edges one by one?

Thanks

Paul

I can’t think of a good reason they would have put those into the model. It looks like some poor modeling technique because the interior is the same way. The entire model looks poorly done, to be honest. Dimensions are strange and would be difficult in the shop if the intended usage for the model is to create shop drawings. If it was modeled to stick into a room as a piece of furniture, it’s overly detailed.

Frankly, I think it would be easiest to start over and model it correctly for the application. If it’s to be used to create plans for building the piece, make use of components for each part that would be made in the shop and use real world dimensions. If working in millimeters, avoid tenths and hundredths.

Thanks for your help Dave, much appreciated. Paul

1 Like

My guess would be that either the model was imported from some app that triangulates all surfaces or was drawn by someone accustomed to working with such an app.

2 Likes

Aah I see Steve. The same model was available in other file types so perhaps created in another app and then converted to SketchUp. Cheers.