Push pull won't cut on other side

Hello, I’m having an issue with my model, I am currently trying to push pull a rectangle on a wall to the other side which has patterns on it and when i do, it shows weird geometry and selects the whole wall, I’m not sure what the issue is, since i checked and all my sides are parallel, (this problem only affects certain sides of the wall) please help

(in the image below you can see that on the left window opening there was no issue but on the right opening attempt it wont do the same )

ill leave the skp file if needed. Thanks!
Wall issue.skp (498.3 KB)

I looked at it and can’t say really, but I’ve never tried using it in this fashion. I usually expect it to work on two clean parallel faces. The extra edges on the face must have thrown in some inaccuracy (or it’s not intended to work on multiple faces anyway). Anyway I cannot so far make a hole on the wall there-- except by drawing directly edge by edge.

Curious what the Sages have to say about this. Checked your model… I’m assuming from the look of things you were using PushPull from the back side. I couldn’t get it to work correctly pushing from the back either. I think pbacot is right that pushing a rectangle shape into the other geometry somehow makes a mess of things. Easy solution is draw your rectangles on the front and PushPull from front side…

1 Like

One more thing I forgot to mention… it wouldn’t hurt to disable “length snapping” and increase your precision to four decimal places.

1 Like

lir-03
or
lir-04

1 Like

Fascinating. @mihai.s rides to the rescue once more. But it doesn’t explain why SU did not make the expected edges in the first place. I have come across this kind of thing quite often myself, scratching my head and thinking “well, this ought to work” but it doesn’t. And then you do a lot of trial and error and hey presto, ça marche!

1 Like