Push Pull tool only works with simple shapes

I did it with squares

but how to put a lid on it. Touch all the points and zip.

if the edges are on plane tracing over one edge will form a face for the lid

you’re welcome.

1 Like

@carmen you are reaching the point where everyone will ignore you. You don’t give enough information in your questions to get complete answers, you make ‘Statements’ that are simply wrong, you ignore questions, you don’t appear to read answers, you start a thread about something and then don’t seem to go back to it, instead you go off on a tangent and start another related but slightly different thread, again with not enough info.
For example I created a gif for your other thread about this very shape you are trying to make and you have simply ignored it just like several posts in this thread.

If you want us to help you make your question clear, add images and models to make it easy for us to help you. Read and respond to questions asked of you. Acknowledge the help being freely offered. Spend some time watching some tutorials on the basics of Sketchup, the web version and the desktop version at the very basic level both work pretty much the same way, it’s just the UI that looks different. Understanding how to make a face that the Push/pull tool works on is at the very core of the software, being able to do that is the very very first thing anyone using sketchup needs to learn.
Please be considerate of the volunteers here that try to help you.

3 Likes

Her profile suggests that @carmen may be a complete beginner. Any software has the potential to be very frustrating at first, even one as intuitive as SU. When I was a newbie, I found the many online tutorials on Youtube very helpful. She might like to take a look at them before she tears the rest of her hair out!

I don’t get into personal arguments on message boards. Feel free to ignore me but don’t talk about me like I’m not here. There is no save to file on my SU and this has been noted before on the board and left go unanswered.

I spoke directly to you, not about you.

I was simply hoping to help you help yourself get help.

Or, to clarify when drawing odd shapes they will not push up if not on an axes but will only become faces if on the intersecting lines. You can create faces anywhere in your work area if you do use the pre-made shapes circle polygon etc from toolbar.

Using your file.
Redraw

1 Like

What can go wrong? I’ve done it.

recording using LICEcap
The order of operations you showed in video is extremely helpful. Push up tool after erase and have no lines intersecting muddling. Can you explain what the blue versus the white is and why the white (face) doesn’t show up? Almost there.

Edit: The line seems to be in the wrong place, should it not be from the vertex on the lower right going up into the centre?
The blue faces you see are back faces. You can fix them by selecting them, right click and choose “reverse faces” from the context menu.

I should point out that if you follow the instruction by Box above you should already have all the faces anyway…

You missed the corner!

17%20AM

2 Likes

carmen, possibly some time spent on the videos on this PAGE may help get you going in the right direction with SU.

@carmen.

Take a look at the referenced post below to expand on the materials suggested by @RLGL

I did follow the instructions but am starting from a different logic. My program doesn’t blow away a whole section just by highlighting. Anyway forget the explanation.
Hint: don’t do your plan on the roof using numbers and then add the sides as it won’t pan or rotate on the right plane. Awkward.
Secondly, I’ve got the faces from a rectangle actually working to my numbers. But…
brokensides fix it.skp (285.5 KB)
I have to now add the triangular section as in diagrama
I’m afraid my skills are not as smooth as need be for the full gazebo yet.
Can I when done attach a skp file to the house skp?

brokensides fix itBox.skp (142.7 KB)

Done with the web version.
Specific%20Angle

here is another option:

draw a line 2025
draw a square from centre (Option on mac) from the centre of the line
draw two connecting lines
erase the outer edge
place dimensions
move the 2025 line along the axe, till approximately the two are 2035
adjust with typing the movement

Thanks, Box. I knew I’d have to use triangles and protractor tool. Simplified order of doing it for me.

I’ll do this method for sure as I couldn’t figure out how to reposition an already drawn line. Thanks, Mike.