Problem with mirror material

I apply mirror material to a regular box, but the mirror glass appears as two different shades of gray. when I then render this remains in the mirror and it doesn’t look good at all.
What am I doing wrong?
using sketchup pro 2023 and standard material

View > Hidden Geometry (on)
View > Face Style > Monochrome

And show a screenshot of that box with these settings.
What are the settings of this standard material?

Thanks for reply!
this is the screenshot

You used a material from SketchUp that is created with a texture, which has smaller dimensions than that face.

It would be better to create the material for the mirror directly in V-Ray.

(Mihai was quicker to answer)

you’re using the mirror material from SU. it was made 20 years ago. it’s not seamless. meaning that when it repeats, you can see where, it makes lines.
SU’s mirror material is not actually a mirror material, it mimics a soft gradient of light, but that’s all. In the absence of light rendering (SU without vray), mirrors don’t make sense, they are just grey. Vray makes the heavy lifting :slight_smile:

you could use a plain colour instead. a grey maybe. and give it mirror parameters in vray. or do what Mihai is doing, stretch it a bit.

thank you guys!
i think i know how to fix it now. but i dont understan one thing: the standard material says that there is no texture.

I think you’re editing the miror material in the standard folder.

in your image, go back to the select tab, then click on the little black house to the the materials in your models. those you can touch.
there should be another mirror here that you can edit.

btw, the colour wheel not displaying is a small bug, just change the colour picker (where it says colour wheel) ant it’ll be back to normal :slight_smile:

Tkanks! now its working a. :slight_smile:
Have a good day!

1 Like