Problem opening DWG file

It’s odd that you and Steve are seeing different things in the Options panel, though.

At least you can keep moving now.

Steve, I think my last post to Dave probably says it all. I wonder what determines what is in the Units drop down box? If I had an imperial template loaded, I could understand it.

Hence my comment earlier about half a kilometre not being too testing for SU. I would conclude that the DWG file was corrupted but if both you and Dave can open in without issue, it surely can’t be that.

The last used import units are saved in the SharedPreferences.json file. But I wouldn’t think that should force the list of available choices in the options dropdown. I tried a few experiments with model units vs options and still couldn’t get what you saw.

Which update version of SketchUp 2019 are you using? I wonder if the dwg importer saw a patch for 2019.2 (I don’t remember)?

import_units

john

1 Like

So why doesn’t Simon get the scroll bar?

John, you nailed it! The scrollbar is not shown by default on the drop-down list, and if you don’t realize it is there, the choices @simoncbevans showed are off the top of the list. It seems that what you see is affected by what needs to be shown to repeat the units you used last time.
options%20scroll

I’m tempted to wonder “Why on Earth not??”. I will test this for myself when I can risk having SU crash on me again. But if I can make the scroll bar magically appear like you, that may at last solve the riddle.

I still wonder what SU uses to populate the scroll bar. If you have a template in millimetres, I would expect it either to default to that or at least limit things to metric options. But maybe there are weird situations when…

That is a bizarre way to have a drop down menu set up. Especially on a Mac where everything is supposed to be so intuitive and easy.

1 Like

it’s stored in the json file…

"DWG Importer": {
            "ImportBreakEdges": false,
            "ImportMergeCoplanarFaces": false,
            "ImportOrientFaces": true,
            "ImportPreserveOrigin": false,
            "ImportUnits": 5

the scroll bars are an Apple thing as El Capitan shows them by default…

just use the scroll wheel on later os X’s…

john

Although I have plenty of native Mac software that shows scroll bars unhidden. Mail, for example (since I am looking at it open on my screen).

it’s specific to the drop down list type available in ‘interface builder’…

because they previously showed, the functionality ‘possibly’ now has a button to be toggled…

if so then SU could turn it on for the next version…

maybe, @slbaumgartner can be enticed to have a look, in my version of Xcode they are the default…

john

Guys, I don’t think we’ve plumbed the depths of this yet. I can’t get a scroll bar to show. Or rather, I can very briefly but not so as to be able to use it.

AFAIK I am on the most up to date versions of Mojave and SU.

Hold on, just noticed that I suddenly have metric options that have appeared, even though the scroll bar only winks at you. Better try importing with millimetres selected now I can get at them.

That scroll bar behavior is standard across the OS and applies wherever there’s a scroll bar. It disappears by default, and only reappears when you scroll or get near it with your cursor. You’ll notice this in every window and even browsers.

your not holding your tongue right…

also try directly under the arrow head…

john

Well this is puzzling. Here’s what happens.

When I first click on the drop down box, there are no metric options. If I change my selection to one of the non defaults, metric options suddenly appear. But…

I have tried using millimetres. I no longer get a warning about items being far from the origin, but SU still crashes.

Really? Here’s a screenshot of my screen. Take a look at the Mail window. Although it is not the active window, two scroll bars can be seen. Why is that?

I’m happy to believe it’s me being a dingbat!

Yes, really. Maybe Mail doesn’t adopt the same practice. But it is standard in the OS in most places. The Finder, for example. It’s not a glitch is what I’m saying. It appears when it’s activated :slight_smile:

We’re going slightly off topic except that it could be related to my problem tangentially.

Here’s a screenshot of SU which also shows scroll bars that have not been “activated” positively.

BTW, although I am on Mojave I do not have Dark Theme enabled. I have no idea if that affects anything.

And here’s my Finder. Since you mention it.

I think I may have sussed the scroll bar issue. Is this a clue?