Problem Exporting DAE OBJ FBX to Blender w/o triangles for quad modeling for High Low Texture Bake for Mixer 2020

It should happen immmediately and divide it with at least one cut. Are you sure you had something selected before you chose Subdivide? It should tell you how many edges, faces, etc you have selected at the bottom right somewhere, like this for a simple cube with everything selected. If they’re not selected you’d see something like Verts:0/8.
Selected

@colin you just right click anywhere else on the screen. I just tried your method and it seemed to work fine.

here’s how I do it (sorry the video cuts a like 2 seconds short)

I hit the tab bar to toggle between the edit and object mode. I hit the space bar to open up the search bar (btw this is an awesome feature that I would love to see SketchUp Integrate),
type in the name of the function (subdivision in this case)
edit the subdivision settings in the lower left
and right click anywhere on the screen to exit out of the subdivision menu

I got past the subdivide problem. Things look selected but they weren’t, once I really had edges select the action happened.

Back to your problem, see how far this gets you:

Export Collada with triangulate all faces.
Import into Blender
Edit Mode, A to select all.
X to delete, but choose Limited Dissolve.

You now have a pretty good starting point. I think that any remainder lines are due to faces not being exactly coplanar.

1 Like

@colin so I went back to an older version of the file since I’ve been working on adding the lines for the past few hours. I believe it’s the same one that I uploaded to the google drive link at the begging of this post…

Here’s what it looked like on initial import:
Here’s the same thing, but showing the wireframe:

Here’s the model after delete-limited dissolving:

Here’s the wireframe

Note, the first time I did this, it didn’t seem to work. I restarted the whole process from scratch to document and it seemed to work the second time. Not sure why. Restarting Blender seemed to help.

WOW! It’s working SO MUCH BETTER!!! THIS IS GREAT!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Any idea why those faces are being recognized as being coplanar? Would love to be able to just get the whole thing done completely.

1 Like

I tried a lot of ideas, and learned more about Blender today than everything I learned before. Then I found this discussion. It seems a lot of Blender users are passionate about not hiding those few lines:

1 Like

I have a possible workaround to the lines problem. In SketchUp you can select the side of the house and right-click Make Unique Texture. Then right-click Texture/Edit Texture Image, in Photoshop (or anything else that can do layers). Make a new layer that is empty behind the initial layer, and magic wand pick up the white parts of the image. A tolerance of about 40 should be enough to grab the full white areas. Delete, so that the transparent layer shows through. Merge layers, and try doing a save.

If you’re lucky, that will save back into SketchUp, but for me it insisted on saving a new file. Save it as PNG, and then load that file back into the texture in SketchUp. You can now fill in all of the holes in the side of the house. Where you fill in will reveal the transparent parts of the texture, so it will end up looking the same.

In Blender you will now not see any of those extra lines, but, you may get opaque black holes. To fix that go into shading, and connect the alpha nodes together. Here’s how that then looks, and how the house rendered.

1 Like

Really excited to try this as soon as I get back to a computer in a couple hours. Really appreciate your engagement on this @colin!

One thing I hadn’t mentioned, to get the transparency in the render you would need to use Cycles, not the default one.

1 Like

@colin Doing this now. Yeah, photoshop doesn’t seem to want to autoapply it directly (man that would be so cool if it would though). Assuming the best way to bring it back in is as a texture, right? Any suggestions to guarantee that I line it up properly, given that the bottom left corner is right of the left most edge of the face?

I can manually position it of course, but I’m worried that I wont get the pixels to line up exactly with the holes in the face. In fact, I’m having a hard time doing it now:

I went ahead and tried regardless of the small transparency gap
Here’s the model in SketchUp

here’s the actual PNG created

Note the small gap (did I scale it too big?)

Here’s the dae model upon inital import

and the wireframe upon initial import

Here’s the dae after delete-limited dissolve

and the wireframe after delete-limited dissolve

You were supposed to remove the holes, and rely on the texture transparency. You won’t see the desired results in any view other than render, and then only in Cycles.

For the precise lining up of the texture you would import the PNG, back into the texture in the Edit tab.

1 Like

For sure. Not sure if you can tell or not, but if you drag and drop the png I shared, you’ll see the window holes are transparent.

trying the process you suggested for loading it back in now. I had just imported it as a new texture before

Using the “browse for material file” feature, the png is loaded like this for me (without me positioning it)

disregard. i think I got it to work for the texture application part. One sec. Sending video results in a sec

Good, I reran my steps on Mac and Windows, and the texture remained lined up.

It’s kind of long so I uploaded it to YouTube cause I don’t think I could get it to function as an an embedded thing via giphy (15 second cap on time) Took forever to process. sorry for the delay.

Sped it up and got it to fit. Here’s what I did and what the result was:

The magic wand tool has a contiguous checkbox. Unchecking that would let you select all of the white areas in one go.

You still didn’t yet remove the holes from the geometry, so you still have the diagonal lines in Blender.

In my copy of your model the walls are inside a group. Is the model changed since you uploaded it?

1 Like

Oh, I see I misunderstood the part about removing the geometry of the holes. Clever. I’ll try that now. Thanks for the tip on the wand.

Just realized the version I’m using seems like the whole model is exploded. Not sure when/why that happened. I’ll re-group by material now

Okay, here’s the dae upon initial import:

wireframe upon import

model after delete->limited dissolve

wireframe after delete-> limited dissolve

Holy ■■■■ I think it worked (note I only did the one face just to establish that it worked)!

So, I guess my next question is, is there a way to select multiple faces w the same texture applied and convert them into a single unique texture? Then you could apply all the image edits at the same time and then… I guess project the texture back? I can’t remember how hard/if it’s possible to project the same texture to faces oriented perpendicular, (I think stretching would create problems?), but man that would really streamline the process.

New to this space, but that’s fairly similar to unwrapping UVs, right?

I guess that’s getting into unwrapping texture territory, but I don’t know enough to say that with absolutely certainty.

One thing to note: I had been doing everything w the default render (Eevee). When I change the rendering to Cycles, the layout view turns into this:

The shading on the face w the adjusted window transparency texture has some shading anomalies? Any idea what’s up with that? I think this is related to the opaque holes you mentioned earlier under the shading settings?

I’m assuming that for your shading menu you added that base color node? Or was it already there? I’m assuming if you added it, it’s just the photoshop edited texture?