Problem Dynamic component millimeter

Hi,

I want to make a DC with as unit millimeter. I only can choose between inches and cm. Can somebody put me on the right track please? I also want to insert drillholes that change when the pieces are getting longer?

Thanks in advance

Corpus zonder groef rijboring.skp (64.1 KB)

Yes, I have found the same problem, it seems to be independent of the units set in SU. When everything you do is in millimeters it is confusing to try working in cm.
If anyone has some helpful advice on this it would be great!

Dynamic components units are limited to inches and centimeters. There is no work-around for millimeters other than moving the decimal over one place.

Corpus zonder groef rijboring (mm).skp (144.8 KB)

Why is that? It’s almost as hard for me as working in feet and inches.

I guess I will just forget about dynamic component.

Hi,

Thanks that’s maybe a workaround. Is it possible to draw a dynamic door? So in case i want one door i have one door, in case i want two doors i get two doors?

Thanks

Just use cm, then, but set the display to ‘end user’s unit’

I’m not sure I understand you correctly but: Cant you set as ‘text’ and (*) your value by 10 in your custom attributes?

All of my data is output as mm. As in you could set it to spit out decimetres if you wanted?

You can have text, but if multplied by 10, you would have a text attribute (or text-variable) and have another outcome then a Whole number (integer) or Decimal number or length-unit (float)
If you create a custom attribute and set it to ‘can be edited by user’, it is set to text-varialble by default, which means you would have to change that to a length unit.
Then, you can extract the unit you would like to be the output easily! (Cm/100 = Mtr, Cm*10=MM etc)

I changed the inch to cm,.
I scaled definition (right click menu) of all parts after choosing some rounded sizes,
So current is non scaled and door size can be use as a template for other door styles

Use copies to create internal copies, this allows for an attribute “copy” to be used to reference each copy, copy=0 for original, then copy =1, for first copy, copy=2 the second…
Capture

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/repeating-sub-component-within-dynamic-component-1-dimension

You can reverse or mirror a nested component by using a custom size attribute and referencing this in the parent with a toggle on its sign, whilst the child references the positive value. I toggled the value based on whether the index is odd or even for the choice of both doors.

To combine these, you need to nest the mirror by at least two levels to stop the axis from correcting itself. This extra wrapping method helps in many situations to isolate the changes from the current level.
With the example attached, you need to start or change to doors=1 before changing the options, so all copies can match the new input.

Corpus zonder groef rijboring (mm) (1).skp (156.6 KB)

After use purge the file of any remains of unique copies

panel door.skp (31.4 KB)
I added a final nesting such that you can change the door type with a swap via the right click menu. the above DC you can swap with the “replace me” plain door (saveas first to retain this one), you could build a series of types to swap based on the original scale.

Another method would be to use hidden versions, this tends to create rather bulky DCs and files, if you use the above method, provided you purge the file, I believe is a better solution,