Preferences - K/board shortcut for Edit/Group

I wanted to assign a k/board short cut to Edit/Edit Group in SU but I could not find the corresponding function. After several hours by chance I found ‘Edit/Item/Edit Group’ will only appear as a Function to be assigned when a group has been highlighted in the model. It may be something I have misunderstood and/or applicable to other functions - I don’t know. I just thought it may be of interest to others.
Rgds
Joe Loughlin Dorset UK

1 Like

As you have discovered… you can only assign a shortcut to a menu item it it is actually there…

‘Edit-group’ only appears if a group is selected - so preselect a group before trying to assign a shortcut to it…

Other common shortcuts that are context-sensitive relate to faces - like orient and reverse, which need a face [or faces] to be selected before they appear in any menu.

If you are looking to add any context-sensitive shortcuts make sure you preselect the relevant entity first…

Also remember that the shortcut ‘filter’ is you friend …

1 Like

Tig,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. It gave me the impression you have been using SU for quite a while. Me? – just 9 months and think it is a marvellous program. It is reassuring to know that what I ‘discovered’ is nothing new but just the way SU does it.

Thank you once again.

Joe

Sent: 10 November 2014 22:51

To: joe.loughlin@ymail.com

Subject: [SketchUp Forum] [SketchUp] Preferences - K/board shortcut for Edit/Group

TIG

November 10

As you have discovered... you can only assign a shortcut to a menu item it it is actually there...

'Edit-group' only appears if a group is selected - so preselect a group before trying to assign a shortcut to it...

Other common shortcuts that are context-sensitive relate to faces - like orient and reverse, which need a face [or faces] to be selected before they appear in any menu.

If you are looking to add any context-sensitive shortcuts make sure you preselect the relevant entity first...

Also remember that the shortcut 'filter' is you friend ...

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://forums.sketchup.com/t/preferences-k-board-shortcut-for-edit-group/3764/2 in your browser.

Previous Replies

joe_loughlin

November 10

I wanted to assign a k/board short cut to Edit/Edit Group in SU but I could not find the corresponding function. After several hours by chance I found 'Edit/Item/Edit Group' will only appear as a Function to be assigned when a group has been highlighted in the model. It may be something I have misunderstood and/or applicable to other functions - I don't know. I just thought it may be of interest to others.

Rgds

Joe Loughlin Dorset UK

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://forums.sketchup.com/t/preferences-k-board-shortcut-for-edit-group/3764/2 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

What is the shortcut filter?

Thanks for the great reply to this previous post. Although I need a bit more direction to reproduce. I Selected a group in my model, the when to : Preferences/shortcuts… but … I am not seeing a choice in the shortcut menu for 'Edit/Item/Edit Group?

Do i need to go somewhere else to create this? Thanks so kindly for your assistance!

Open SketchUp’s Preferences.
Open the Shortcuts tab.
The top ‘Filter’ box lets you enter search text.
In this example I typed ‘help’ and got all available Help menu listings…

1 Like

Thanks you!!