Plug-in won't load after Win 10 Update

Help! My plug-ins aren’t loading. It seems to have begun after a Windows 10 Update. When I start up any of my Sketchup versions 2020, 2019, or 2018 I get the following error message:

Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_advancedcameratools/actloader.rbe
Failed to read RBE/RBS file.
Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcloader.rbe
Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox/sandboxmenus.rbe
Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe

Sketchup loads but all my plug-in are missing. So what is the fix?

This is usually an indication of an incorrect installation of SketchUp… it entails permissions…
It can be fixed by doing a Repair as follows…
For each of the SketchUp installations you need to do the following [quick and painless]

Whilst you are logged into Windows as your normal user [not the special admin-account - but if your normal user has some admin-powers, don’t worry] - ensure that SketchUp / Layout are closed.
Now find the relevant SketchUp installer’s exe file - usually where you saved it in ‘Downloads’ [or download a fresh copy].
Select the installer’s exe file’s icon, right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”
When prompted choose “Repair”.
When it completes retry starting SketchUp and see if it has helped.

Running any complex app’s installer exe by any other method will cause unpredictable issues, usually around file/folder permissions.
Never Run an installer’s exe by double-clicking it !
Even if your normal user account has admin-powers it is not the same.

Rarely broken permissions can affect extension’s preferences etc - mainly where they get saved in a separate file/subfolder…
If this does happen, then come back and we’ll probably be able to tell you a quick fix…

1 Like

I’ve done all that. I always run it as administrator. I’ve done a repair. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled. Always the same. I have 3 versions on my desktop 2018, 2019, 2020. All are returning the same error message:
Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_advancedcameratools/actloader.rbe
Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcloader.rbe
Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox/sandboxmenus.rbe
Error Loading File C:/Users/David Hall/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe

There is chatter on the web about this going back 3 years but nobody has a work around. Does anybody out there know what the RBE/RBS Files are?

And where the devil are the Sketchup tech guys. Nobody returns calls or responds to their message base. I think I’ll remember this when it comes tome to renew my support subscription.

For anyone curious, a lot happens in 9 hours. My suggestion to the support request was to either do a repair, or delete the eight files and reopen SketchUp. I didn’t know the part about how all versions of SketchUp were showing the same errors. It’s going to be an interesting problem.

I set up a screen share, and offered to do that tonight, or first thing in the morning. I will watch for a reply for about an hour, then go to bed, and check when I get up in the morning.

1 Like

What is “IT”?

You should always start the INSTALLER with R-click, Run as Administrator.

But NOT the SketchUp program itself.

1 Like

An update for any of you thinking about this.

We did an hour+ screen share. Sure enough, any version of SketchUp shows those errors. Uninstall, reinstall as admin, doesn’t help. Manually deleting the extensions so that they are recreated doesn’t help. Unusual though it may be, in case there were permission changes in the Windows update, run SketchUp as admin also didn’t help.

Non-su extensions would load ok, and ignoring the errors does let SketchUp work, just without Trimble Connect and the other three features.

What did work was to create a new admin user. When signed in as the other user, but still using the same SketchUp installation, there were no errors, and the four su extensions would work ok.

A colleague suggests trying cacls to fix things. Didn’t try that yet. For now dwharch can get by with either ignoring the errors, or signing in as the new admin account when doing SketchUp work.

The same colleague wondered about whether it was rbe files in particular that are failing.

Please feel free to add new suggestions!

I would generally prevent whitespaces in the folder name?

FIXED

Hi Dwharch,

I can confirm that I had this error which effected both my installs of 2017 make and sketchup pro 2020.

I read all the threads I could find and tried various ways of installing / reinstalling / repairing, changing admin privileges, accessing %appdata%, re-installing c++ distributables etc. – none of this worked for me.

The sollution that did work:

Re-install windows.

I know it’s not ideal - but it seems to be the only thing that works.

1 Like

Josh,

Thanks for the tip. Would you tell me how you performed your windows 10 reinstall. I have my original Windows 10 on a microsoft thumbdrive. Did you do a repair; an uninstall and reinstall; or a reinstall over the existing. Also, what issues did you encounter with other software on your computer?

Go

HERE

Get the latest version of Windows. Format the drive and do a fresh install.

> Back up anything you want to save to another drive

Hi Dwharch,

I created a usb thumb drive, by downloading the windows 10 install media creation tool. Then I completely wiped the computer and started over. I tried a windows 10 repair and this did not work. so I reinstalled windows from scratch.

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.