Plane of floor will not stay stable, shows random triangles

I have a house that has developed an unstable floor .I may have accidently twisted the house but I has measured and checked parallel planes and they seem to be ok . I have deleted the plan but the problem it keeps on reappearing on new extruded planes. What do I do ?

A picture or better, the model, will help us help you.

concept 6 rendered.skp (1.9 MB)
thanks for your reply
You can see all the doted lines .I have tried to delete them but no luck .
The top floor is ok

I see some hidden edges, shown selected. They run all over the place and after different heights in the model. They are easily deleted although it’s tedious.

You also have many reversed faces (shown in blue) in your model which need to be fixed. In fact, you should be correcting them as you go along and avoid applying materials until you know the faces are all correct.

it is very tedious deleting .i seem to collect a lot of these hidden edges as I extrude and draw. I would like to turn off the sticky edge/face function

How do I find the objects to delete when they are invisible .I t seems that the dotted lines come from where I have extended lines creating stop start points .Am I to delete these lines and draw them as a continuous lines ?

Turn on hidden geometry and you’ll be able to see them to delete them.

You cannot turn off the sticky nature of edges. You can group the entities you wish to keep.

It seems there’s much to fix in the model. Perhaps it would be easier to start over.

As Dave said, deleting the hidden lines it’s easy, the hard thing is to organize your work in groups and components.

quick tip: turn to “wire-frame” mode and you can select multiple lines with a single swoosh of the mouse while leaving surfaces un-touched.
(and use [ctrl-click] to remove accidental lines from the selection)

1 Like

The root of the problem is a lack of model organization using Groups and Components coupled with the misuse of SketchUp’s Layer system.

I agree with @DaveR, it’s better to start over than try to fix the model.

Layers in SketchUp do not isolate geometry … Layers control visibility, nothing more.
Raw geometry assigned to a hidden layer is not protected from interaction with visible geometry.
The result is odd model behavior and unintentional alteration of raw geometry assigned to a hidden Layer.

Raw geometry is isolated and protected from alteration by making it into a Group or Component.

Build the model one logical portion at a time.
Make the first portion a Component and then proceed to model the next logical portion of the model.
Then, make that portion a Component before beginning to model the next logical portion of the model.
And so on … until the completed model is an assembly of Components with no raw geometry left behind.

Controlling Visibility with Layers — SketchUp Help
Organizing a Model — SketchUp Help

Here, a screenshot of the model viewed with Color by Layer enabled.
Notice raw geometry edges and faces are assigned to various layers.

1 Like

It’s not difficult to use a Ruby snippet in the Ruby Console to delete all hidden geometry. For example, to get ungrouped hidden geometry:

Sketchup.active_model.entities.each {|ent| ent.erase! if ent.hidden?}

and to get geometry within groups or components:

Sketchup.active_model.definitions.each {|cd| cd.entities.each {|ent| ent.erase! if ent.hidden?}}

The hard part is being sure that all those hidden entities are actually not needed in your model. For instance, if you erase the hidden edge at a fold in a non-planar surface, the adjacent faces will also be erased. As others have already pointed out, using some better discipline while building the model will avoid both the original problem and the need for this kind of manual review before cleanup.