Triangulated faces driving me crazy!

hi guys and girls,

i’ve been working with sketchup for a few years now but something keeps happening to me, and now I’ve had enough.
when I try to delete a plane in my model, i have to delete it piece by piece. it’s just a square plane, but it apparently consists of several triangles. there are no edges visible, but it’s really annoying if i want to delete or extrude a plane.
does anyone else have this problem or know the solution?

thanks in advance!

There are a number of possibilities. Most common is that the “plane” has been distorted so the vertices are no longer on the same plane. Have you ever turned on Hidden Geometry? Have you ever checked the coordinates of the vertices of the “plane”?

yes I can see the dotted lines now, thanks! how do I keep this from happening in the future? because I didn’t do any strange things to make this plane…

It’s hard to tell you how to prevent it. It depends on what caused it. Can you erase those hidden edges without losing the face?

no when i delete one of the hidden edges the face deletes as well

So look at the coordinates of the vertices and figure out which one(s) is different from the others.

thanks a lot for your help!

Did you check the coordinates? Did you find one that is off?

FYI, planes are infinite virtual objects (used under the hood by tools) in SketchUp geometry. I re-titled this topic accordingly, as you are asking about triangulated faces.

I have similar problem and have no idea what is happening. Faces are flat. After drawing some division lines, faces duplicates and appears triangulation. Maybe this is graphic card problem AMD Radeon HD 7800?

Unfortunately colour by axis isn’t very accurate, it’s more of a suggestion than a real diagnostic tool. So I would guess that you have a tiny misalignment somewhere that is causing your issue.
It looks like you deleted several faces that were created when you added the vertical edge, that suggests something is out of plane.
If you attach the model itself someone is sure to check it for you. I may be in bed by then.

2 Likes

How are you going to check are these faces flat or no?
Faces.skp (44.7 KB)

If you use the text tool on vertices you get their coordinates and you can check if the specific axis is the same.
I have upped the precision and changed the units to mm so you can see the difference rather than seeing a tilde. Most people turn off Enable length snapping too as it can cause inaccuracies.

3 Likes

1 Like