Personal SketchUp Project (LEGO Millennium Falcon)

I try to look up the specs of pieces as I make them. Lego are actually built around a value of 1.6 mm., so most dimensions of most pieces fall into a sort of a “grid”. I decided to make things easy on myself and have traded mm for m. The distance on a brick (in my model) from one stud to the next is exactly 8 m. easy to move bricks around using inference locking and the Move tool by increments of 8m!

As for the bricks, this is my “virtual pile of bricks”:

Each brick is saved as its own component. Whenever I need a new brick, I select one that is close to the one I need, make it unique, rename it, then make the changes I need.

10 Likes

Aaron, are you setting the insertion point for the components as you make them? Are you giving them gluing properties?

1 Like

No… it’s pretty relaxed, there… I am using the Move tool to copy from the pile, rather than placing from the component browser, so insertion point has not been critical. Honestly, my naming is so fast and loose, I would spend all day scrolling through the Component window to find each piece… right now I can see my whole “pile” and grab what I need from the corner that makes the most sense. As for gluing, some times pieces are added from the top, or bottom, so gluing seemed like it would cause more trouble that it would relieve…

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Keep the updates coming.

1 Like

I created a number of them. However, by the time I added in the different colors, the numbers seemed to grow exponentially.

For better or worse, I used 1/16th of an inch for my grid.

Spoken like a true addict :slight_smile:

Here’s my collection of LEGOs … the parts are in layers that are named for the LEGO part numbers:

Yup! Just trying to say that Sketchup makes work fun! Which is something most other software usually fail to achieve. Your hobbying is great work!

5 Likes

Getting T-shirts of this printed right now. :wink:

6 Likes

In my experience, there’s no need to have a unique component just for color. If your component is entirely the default color, it can be colored independently of like components with a single click of the paint bucket. Works with groups too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well… Bag 3 almost killed me… The last few pages of Bag 3 introduced Greeblies! In real life these are fun little shapes that you get to snap into odd configurations to bring additional detail to your model… in the life where you have to model each piece with little to no reference… it is… less than fun…

I realized how much I like a good reference image!

49%20AM

15 Likes

Don’t give up keep going! The sooner you build it the sooner we can smash it to bits!

5 Likes

Whow!
Looking forward for the following bags.

Do you record your screen, for an amazing time lapse?

1 Like

I love this idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

No… no recording… this is for fun modeling… I don’t want to complicate things with having to remember to record.

4 Likes

Awesome effort and results ! Wondering if, when you’re done, you’ll grab your 3D printer and make your own “physical” set of pieces and build that as well?

I’ve had a couple people ask this! I doubt it… this is a LOT of plastic. Plus, I cannot see reproducing the high tolerances of molded LEGO in an FDM print.

Print the model to scale then, the tolerances won’t play a role anymore…

2 Likes

Maybe the fun thing to do when you’re done is to walk through it with VR goggles as if it were life size.

2 Likes

Just be careful not to trip on the studs!

what if you drop it?

Perhaps you need think about some sort of grid for components. THan you can easily find them. Perhaps there is an extension or so which could help with this?! You can always add scenes for that, but eventually it will explode i guess. To bad SU still cant properly and easy link files. Than you could use the base scene pure for modeling, with as many scenes as preferred. Than use a different scene for renders.

Hope you will finishes and make cool renders! Hope you also got a phyisical renderer so you can make stunning shots of this puppy :slight_smile:

1 Like