Personal SketchUp Project (LEGO Millennium Falcon)

SO, after seeing the amazing model created by braders82 over on Reddit I decided that I needed to follow suit. A lifelong Lego and Star Wars fan, I have been coveting the Millennium Falcon kit (#75192) since it was released. Unfortunately, the $899 price tag has prevented me from actually OWNING this set… next best thing? Model it in SketchUp!!

I downloaded the PDF instructions and started modeling each piece, then adding them to the model. Here is a look at Bag #1 completed!

25 Likes

And here are a few highlights from Bag #2

19 Likes

erhmagerd nergasm component modeling funtime!

1 Like

I wonder if the folks at Lego use SketchUp. I guess we might never know as their product development is pretty much military grade secrecy.

2 Likes

AWESOME job but why didn’t you just use LeoCAD or similar? Something with ALL the pieces already in the library? Then bring it into SU. Still killer start. :+1

1 Like

I remember a video I saw on it and I swore that they were using Solidworks (iirc).

1 Like

I’m really just looking for something fun to model in SketchUp. It’s not the destination, but the journey that I am after!

5 Likes

Journey on good sir :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Wow, very cool! It’s going to be even more awesome when completed.

2 Likes

…and this way you never have to worry about stepping on any of them barefoot!

5 Likes

The real painful experience!

1 Like

What a feat that would be if we got the animation too…

Isn’t it great when you actually enjoy the modeling part? Looking forward to the next update :slight_smile:

1 Like

I generally always have a personal model going… something I am doing just for me… If you only model things for work, modeling can stop being fun!

11 Likes

Truer words were never said!

Sorry for disagreeing completely, but I only model for work and it’s the fact that I do it with SketchUp that makes work even better and funnier.

But I love my work so that helps too. Mod lling is still tiresome but never boring.

Outside the work scope I have better things to do than modeling though :wink:

2 Likes

draw as much for the work as for personal realization. I learned a lot in my personal achievements. Drawing with Sketchup is so fast and efficient. In fact I draw everything that can pass me by the hand. My databases for 13 years are huge and allow me to be so effective at work because I knew how to have fun with SU. Have fun

3 Likes

Very nice, I like that.

1 Like

No need to apologize! It is different for everyone! For work I end up modeling things that are created for specific purposes, or models that are selected by someone else… My “me time” models are things that I want to model. Helps keep modeling fun… for me!

6 Likes

I’m really curious how you’re going about creating each piece to spec. Do you simply have bricks sitting around to reference (that’s what I would probably do), or do you just eye it? Really curious about the process, since the real parts are so precise and meticulous.