PDF exported from Layout contains different fonts

Hello,

I’ve read a few threads discussing this issue, but I haven’t seen any permanent fixes or workarounds. When exporting a finished layout document to PDF, my fonts get substituted. I was getting past the issue by using the “print to file” option in the print system dialog. The fonts aren’t substituted and appear correctly this way. The issue is my max paper size using this method is 11x17. Once I move to larger paper sizes I have no way of saving my drawings to a readable format for others.

SketchUp Pro 2018
Windows 10
GeForce GTX 1060

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Kamron

What font are you using? Can you upload a LayOut file that exhibits this behavior?

Bahnshrift and its variations. It is a newer font (introduced with windows 10 i think) so could it be a pdf viewer issue? As in the viewer doesn’t support it?

Blank titleblock layout file:
A1_floorplans.layout (168.9 KB)

Looks like that may be the issue. It’s a variable font, and not all adobe software supports it yet.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2444501

You’re probably right. I’m seeing the same thing.

Can you change the font for your template?

Yea, I could use a different font, but I’d like to use this one if possible…

I get that. I wonder how long it would take Adobe to catch up.

I’m wondering tho about the print to file option workaround. I’ll look into that and see what kind of results I get. Fingers crossed.

the chances are the font licence doesn’t allow embedding into the PDF produced by LayOut, many don’t…

the ‘System’ print to file shouldn’t have that restriction on a system font, but sometimes they do…

there are actually very few fonts that will render true in other ‘brand’ software/hardware…

even printers have to pay to use fonts, new fonts are often missing for years…

john

We have discovered that a similar problem occurs when loading the same Layout file under two different licenses and computers. It seems that some of the fonts are changed in size and some just substitute the same font but Bold. It makes no sense. The font used is an imported font but it is available on both computers. The characteristics of the font change when the file is opened on another computer.

What is the font?

Roboto is the font. It is used on all publications, company wide. It was uploaded to all computers but only causes a problem in Layout.

Could @trent or someone else from the developers explain what the LayOut PDF exporter does with font embedding? PDF printers often have in place options that allow you to determine what to do with fonts (ignore, partial embed, full embed…) but the LayOut exporter doesn’t have any user settings related to fonts. If fonts are not included inside the PDF document, PDF viewers perform font substitution that often favours the standard Times and Helvetica fonts that reside inside, for instance, Adobe Acrobat. This often wreaks havoc with special characters.

I used Bahnshrift on Layout and Vectorworks. Beautiful font. (Used for German highway signs). I had to stop using it in Layout because it was behaving very weirdly when I published a PDF. Sentences cut in half and stuff like that. The weirdest thing is, it looks find when I use it in Vectorworks and publish to PDF. This make me think the problem is in Layout.

This isn’t specific to LayOut.
See:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bahnschrift+font+problems&rlz=1C1GIWA_enUS651US651&oq=bahnschrift+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j0i131i433i512j0i512l7.6112j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yes, I just find a few others thread specifically mentioning the Bahnschrift font problems with PDF. Despite its beauty, this font is trouble. I guest I need to stay away from it.

Yeah. At least until Adobe decides to truly support it. Makes me wonder what other fonts they don’t support.