Thank you Dave for the links on threads. I read them.
I use Bahnschrift for at least three years now and never had any problems like this one, not on Windows, iOS, or any client complaints. I did open it on many computers and no problem until I upgrade it to the latest SU maintenance. If I print it using Windows pdf I get correct size fonts and all is good but if I export it gets scrambled. I will see with my students if they have any problems at home and I can check it on Friday on the school’s computers to see if it gets the same result.
I like it too and tried to replicate your problem without success. My Font dialog box shows quite many variants, did you use some other than the “plain” Bahnscrift? In your screenshots I imagine seeing a bit lighter font than the one I tried.
Edit: here is no difference between Light and Regular when exported. On screen the difference is visible.
I have a support ticket submitted with SU on this issue. The SU support rep was able to recreate the issue on his PC, but not on a MAC. It has been elevated to the SU software engineers for resolution.
There is definitely some oddity in the Bahnschrift font too. The LayOut font dialog shows many varieties of the font. So does Word. Illustrator only shows Regular. When I make a font sample in Word and export that to PDF with Word’s built in exporter, all weights show as Regular, and condensed versions have their kerning run haywire.
I don’t think anybody is allowed to comment on specifics like future release dates. In a way I think we’re lucky that they already know about the issue, and have a good idea what’s causing it. so I would imagine that a fix will be part of the next release.
However, I would also argue that you shouldn’t have to wait for anything since you still have the option to run everything through the print dialog menu now. And as much as I can see how people feel that something is broken here. I would not consider the print to pdf option as a work-a-round or lower quality substitution. If anything it’s the more traditional way of generating pdf’s… and depending upon what pdf creator is being used it can also be an improvement.
Anyhow, I’m not trying to make changes to anyones favorite workflow, but instead trying to offer a level of acceptance to what’s a very common alternative approach.
This is one of the few times when built-in redundancy can save the day… or at least the task at hand.
The challenge I have here is this is a critical feature I use every day, even every hour I am at work. We moved from a classic subscription model to a subscription model that I was not a fan of, and the last print issue I had with the classic license they said they would fix but did not fix till the next version of the software which essentially forced me into the subscription model just to fix a product I had already bought. I use this feature and have been burned by print issues before. An ETA is a small ask in my view for a critical feature at this point. I am paying more and feel like it has been a worse experience so far. I hope this does not continue to be the case.
Doesnt work for me since the PDF export reduced the quality of my opaque image in a strange and ugly way.
This was using the Adobe PDF (professional) exporter/distiller, with the High Quality preset and the “version 8” compatibility (so it should support transparent raster images and colour).