Paint Bucket Light Yellow

Hello,

I’m trying to paint some kitchen cabinets but getting a confusing outcome from the Bucket. I follow the steps to select and edit the cabinet, which is a group. I click into it to edit the door panel, then use the bucket and the eye dropper to pick the color from another cabinet which I’ve already painted. The end result, is that the color on the 2nd cabinet doesn’t match the first, it’s a light yellow color rather than the one I picked.

What is doubly weird, is that if I pick a really bright color and apply it, the outcome is as expected. When I used colours which are pale, they don’t work. It’s all very odd. I’ve attached a screenshot showing the situation.

I tried making a brand new rectangle and painting the light olive colour onto it, same result, I get light yellow. Very weird and confusing.

there are two ‘eye droppers’ in the mac version…

are you using the one invoked by using Paint Bucket while holding ⌘ key…

if so it may be shadows that need adjusting…

john

If I pick up the color you used and put it on to two faces, how it looks varies depending on the angle I view from. It’s as if SketchUp is doing a specular effect.

Since you have materials showing, it is clear you are in a style with shading. In that case, SketchUp determines the apparent color of surfaces based on lighting. Surfaces facing the light source will be painted lighter than surfaces sloping away from it or with their back toward it even if they have the same material. The default light source is at the camera’s “eye”. If you activate “use sun for shading” in the shadows window, the light source is at the sun’s position for the day and time you choose . There you can also change the dark and light aspects of the shadowing to even out things somewhat. Note that you can do this to change the light source without actually turning on shadows on the view.

Edit: To expand on @john_drivenupthewall’s post: there are two ways to sample colors on the Mac SketchUp. If you open the materials window, there is a little eyedropper icon near the bottom. This activates the Mac’s built-in color sampler. The cursor changes to a magnifying glass, and the color sampled is the one at the exact pixel in the center of the cursor. Since many materials have dithered colors (that is, adjacent pixels in different colors that visually blend to form another color) you can get a different color than you expected. The phenomenon is especially noticeable if the material uses a texture image. If you activate the paint bucket tool and then press the command key, you get SketchUp’s material sampler, which grabs the full material from the face under the cursor, dithering or image and all. The Windows SketchUp has the material sampler icon visible and doesn’t need the quasi-secret modifier key to activate it.