Overlapping issues with roundcorner

Hello all, I am having some trouble with the extension roundcorner. I’m trying to round the edges of a skin I made with the extension soap skin and bubble, and I’m running into a lot of overlapping pieces that get completely screwed up after rounding. Roundover wont let me round a component or group (is this normal?) and when I explode the group and highlight each individual section of the curve I run into the overlapping issue. There are two skins that meet at the
curved edge, is this the problem? I am able to round over the front edges to 1/8" not including the skins fine, then when I go to round the rear edges at 3/8", the rear face disappears…

It also looks like the skins made with soap bubble are not even connected to the rest of the model after rounding the edges. I’m lost

Thanks in advance!

OP04 copy.skp (2.1 MB)

Moving along in the model, I’m also now having issues with the chairs rear angled legs when I try to round the top/bottom edges. This is not happening with the front legs that are not angled at all, any idea why this is happening?

Here is the updated file:

OP04 copy #2.skp (2.2 MB)

You don’t have to (nor should) explode a group / component, just edit it (double-click on it or right-click > Edit Group), and then use Round Corner plugin.

Learn the basics of SketchUp at https://learn.sketchup.com/

Read about small edges

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I’m able to edit (what needs to happen after engaging the edit tool?) the component but roundover still wont operate on that section of the model.

As for the legs, they are angled at 8 degrees, and to model them, I made the whole leg angled at 8, then leveled out the tops/bottoms with the rotate tool. I’m assuming this compacted the geometry inside the legs, which you can’t see until you go to roundover the edges. How do I avoid this?

Thanks again

sca-04

sca-05

It’s easier if you model the back leg again

sca-07

sca-08

You appear to have made no use of components, and each chair in your model is a mass of connected geometry. This is making editing parts of it harder than it needs to be.

It sounds harsh, but I think you would do better to start again, making each element of the chair that would be a separate piece in real life into a separate component.

Then when you edit one component - such as a rear leg - all get done at once.

I remade one back leg, and had no trouble putting a 1/8" round corner on the top, but the bottom was troublesome with 24-segment circles for the leg, and 4 segment arcs for the round over.

Moral - redraw the legs with fewer segments - maybe 16 or 12 - and/or fewer segments in the roundover - maybe only 2 at the bottom, though 4 at the top looks better.

Redrawn with 12 segment circles, here’s one back leg:

At the top:

And at the bottom:
No holes, though in close up the ends look a little lumpy.

Back leg.skp (38.9 KB)
Import this into your model if you want to use it ‘as is’, and rotate it about the red axis 7.5 degrees to get the correct slope.

If you open it as a model, it will lose its component ‘wrapper’.

PS. If I were making this, I wouldn’t bevel the top or bottom of the sloping back legs, but turn the roundover on a lathe, normal to the axis of the leg. You couldn’t even use a roundover bit on a router to create the roundover on the bevelled ends.

Thank you for the suggestions, I admit this is one of my first models, and I was eager to just jump in and start modeling without fully understanding the building blocks of creating models. I just looked further into when to use groups/components (pretty much always!) and I will redo the model and make everything into appropriate groups/components.

Thank you mihai.s for demonstrating how to achieve the flat top/bottom on the angled leg, I was unsure of how to achieve that without just rotating each face flat.

Would either of you be willing to see if you can properly roundover the front edges of the chairbacks pictured below to 1/8" and the rear edges to 3/8"? I am still lost on this. The use of the soap bubble skin seems to be limiting the roundover plugin on my end.

Thanks again!

Soap skin bubble in this case makes too many odd sized faces and edges along the edge that you want to round over. Might have better luck with Curviloft. Not knowing how you are approaching the shape, I couldn’t say for sure, but it might even be easily done with some “hand stitching” for such a small piece and have control on keeping it simple and clean. You’d only model 1/2 the back of course, and mirror it–though you might combine both sides before the final steps, such as rounding.

Try drawing that section of the back again, but with fewer segments.

I took the back face of the second back from the left, halved it down the middle, replaced all the curved edges except the outer corners by straight lines, then use Joint Push Pull to Thicken it, to get this:

Selected the three highlighted edges (select all of the face and edges, then unselect the face and the vertical edge) before running FredoCorner on just those edges.

Then rotated the middle section parallel to the green axis, before mirroring one half to get a whole back.

After that, you had carved out a section in the middle. Repeat that, but on this simplified back. FAR fewer edges to handle, and in anything other than extreme close up, visually (almost) indistinguishable.
Chair back.skp (144.0 KB)

EDIT: I missed that you want the roundover at the back to be 3/8", not 1/8" as drawn.

A few undo’s then redid it.

Chair back.skp (146.0 KB)

2 Likes