Soap Skin Bubble Crashing A lot

I have been using soap skin bubble for a few years. I have noticed that it crashes a whole lot. Once you set your divisions higher than 20 it is very prone to crashing. To make the bubble look as real as possible I have to increase it to make is smooth. I was wondering if there is a better extension out there that can withstand more bubbles within the same file? It is such a pain when I have to work from three separate files to get all of the bubbles into one project. I do not like toposhaper and I use from contours when I have the established contours. But I am trying to create sexy smooth burms and swales.

I have been using it for few years as well.
In my experience, the division count matters less than the actual edge count of the loop you are using.

Sharp corners with lots of edges around the curve tends to throw more cashes i feel.

Try simplifying the curve?

I will definitely keep that in mind today while I create many more soap bubbles. I usually use the freehand tool to draw my berms (soap bubbles). I will try using arcs and lines so that there are less edges.

Thanks for the response.

I think freehand relatively creates less amount of edges. Although it really depends.
Perhaps reduce amount of sharp corners as well.

Good luck.

I’m not sure why you would do this freehand. The various arc tools, beziers and such combined with Tig’s Extrusion tools or Fredo’s Curviloft would make your shapes accurately in seconds.

I’m having a crashing issue too but it’s different than yours. When I adjust the pressure and type a number for the ratio, if I go higher than 3 it starts to explode in a way. The iterations go on forever and I need to close the SketchUp window. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Or even what I’m talking about? lol

2 Likes

I have this issue as well. About 50% of the time that I apply a pressure, my sketchup stops responding and I have to eventually just close the program and restart. Anyone have any advice for this?

Hard to tell with no more information than that. Maybe too many sub-divisions?

I don’t know, it’s pretty basic stuff I’m doing. Here is a screenshot of a current situation I’m in. Basic rectangel
subdivided by 15, pressure of 10 as a test…

Maybe you could share the .skp file?

I also just uninstalled and re-installed to see if that would help, but it did not.

Uninstalled and reinstalled what? SketchUp? If so, did you right click on the downloaded installer and choose Run as administrator?

Here is the file.

Sofa.skp (4.5 MB)

I uninstalled the soap bubble ext from the extensions manager.

Oh. OK.

So this is what I see. I opened the cushion component for editing and then opened the group forming the top surface for editing. I selected just the face’s edges, started SSB… Pressure of 10 as little effect. 60 is probably too much.

SSB

Thanks Dave, the issue I’m having is that when I input 10 as the pressure, Sketchup just stops working altogether. In the picture I sent, I highlighted the ‘not responding’ at the top of the file. It just freezes anytime I input any pressure whatsoever. This happens to be about 50% of the time. Sometimes it does work…

Hmmm…

What happens if you start with just the edges of a rectangle with no face?

Here I exploded the group you have for the top face of the cushion, deleted the face and selected the edges only. I could have just deleted the group, though. I ran SSB and then to make the bulge more evident I used 60 for the pressue. then I deleted the group formed by SSB and softened all the edges.

Screenshot - 7_12_2021 , 11_19_23 AM

Sofa.skp (9.8 MB)

Wow, look at that, it worked! I deleted the face like you said, used the 4 edges to generate the skin, then used that new group to generate the bubble. Thank-you very much!

1 Like