Object too deep in Image Match

Hi everyone,

I have tried to model an armchair with Image Match but I have an issue with depth of the object.
For some reason it gets very deep and turns into bench :wink:

Untitled 6.skp (946.2 KB)

I think your perspective lines are off. You’re basing them off the chair’s geometry, assuming it has level lines, but I assure you it does not. The front legs are higher up on the carpet, and the arms are not level by design. Even the smallest shift from actual perspective in a space can cause large issues while photomatching.

1 Like

That image is not suitable for use with Match Photo. I’d suggest just importing it as an image, stand it up in the background and use it as a reference.

Thanks so much for the tip.

No, it’s not indeed. Thanks. I will try to look up a better one.

You could eyeball it from that image. I frequently work from less than optimum images when modeling antique and classic furniture. Having it in the background means I don’t have to look at a second screen or get out of SketchUp to see it.

Since the end view of that chair is nearly straight on, you could use a known dimension such as the height to roughly size the image. Then use the Tape Measure to take measurements off the image. They won’t be 100% accurate but probably close enough. For the width of the chair you’ll just need to use whatever is provided in the tear sheet.Some of it you just have to use your best judgement on for dimensions.

That’s how I modeled this Roycroft settee.

Some other examples of furniture done that way in case you are interested.:
Imgur
Imgur

The frame for this couch was drawn by eyeball, too.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

If I can do this, anyone can. :wink:

2 Likes

Beauty. Thanks!

1 Like

To add a little more detail to the original photo issues - if you understand the lens distortion - it looks like the object is close to the edge of a photo creating maximum distortion. The plan view of the chair would be quite skewed (and then the legs have been leveled).

If you have PhotoShop expertise, and you particularly need this image - you could run it through a lens correction process to bring it back to a reasonable shape.

As @DaveR mentioned, eye balling it may get the best result.

1 Like

Sometimes when I’m having trouble with a photomatch I bring the photo in as a “watermark” (set to background), this way you can keep your reference up while you make adjustments
The watermark can always be toggled on and off too.

This way you can rough out what you suspect the size and shape is and then position it in front of the photo to fine tune it.

chair%20wm2

2 Likes