OBJ FBX DAE files exported from Sketchup for Schools resulted in error when imported by Blender

I’m trying to import OBJ FBX and DAE files exported from Sketchup for Schools into Blender but keep getting errors.

When importing FBX this error came out

bpy.context.space_data.recent_folders_active = 0
Couldn’t open file ‘D:\Fail Sazril\Downloads\Makmal Komputer SKPP18(2)-Media Room Setting (1).fbx’ (Invalid header)

When importing OBJ

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.82\2.82\scripts\addons\io_scene_obj_init_.py”, line 146, in execute
return import_obj.load(context, **keywords)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.82\2.82\scripts\addons\io_scene_obj\import_obj.py”, line 1081, in load
idx = int(obj_vert[0]) # Note that we assume here we cannot get OBJ invalid 0 index…
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: b"\xe6\x8dhv\xd7\xcd\x8a\x01\xf9\xdf}Kf?\xfaJ\xdbL\x91\xae\x84’\x93\xe6\xe6\xfa\xb3\x9eEu\x87"

When importing DAE

Parsing errors in Document (see Blender Console)

I believe there is an issue with Sketchup for School Export.

Could anyone assist?

@Steve_Ketchup or @chippwalters may have ideas on this. I’m wondering though, why not import the SketchUp file?

I think probably the best way is to use the SU to Blender addon $$$:

Here’s my take on it before the addon-- part of my EEVEE Interiors course:

Because it seems like Blender 2.82 cannot import or open SketchUp files. So I can’t do that.
All the tutorials said to export using OBJ/FBX/DAE but all seems to be using SketchUp Pro or something of similar tier and not SketchUp for Schools.

BTW I’m using it in a school environment without much budget since it is controlled by the Local Education Authority. Since SketchUp for Schools is free with our Education account, I decided to use it to teach my primary school students about 3D modelling.

I’d have to see the model to know for sure but I’ve had issues in the past importing to Blender with nested components. Have you tried to export some very simple geometry to DAE, just to see if it can be imported to Blender?

If you can get DAE import working, I wrote a free add-on for Blender (https://www.dndrawings.com/add-ons) which will clean up the imported model ready for use.

This is the error from the Blender console when I try to import the DAE file. It is just a simple cube.

±---------------------------------
±- Collada Import parameters------
| input file : D:\Fail Sazril\Downloads\test (1).dae
| use units : no
| autoconnect : no
±- Armature Import parameters ----
| find bone chains: no
| min chain len : 0
| fix orientation : no
| keep bind info : no
Schema validation (Error): Critical error: ERROR_XML_PARSER_ERROR Additional: Start tag expected, ‘<’ not found

The Collada import has been forced to stop.
Please fix the reported error and then try again.±---------------------------------
| Collada Import : FAIL
±---------------------------------

Something about missing tag?

Thanks.

I tested FBX and DAE, from the web app and from SketchUp. The FBX fails from SketchUp because Blender doesn’t cope with ASCII FBX, it wants binary. DAE from SketchUp works fine.

Both fail when I do the web app converted file. I will alert the authorities. The DAE fails to import into SketchUp as well as Blender.

As a work around, you could open a downloaded SKP in Make 2017, and export DAE from there.

By the way, the binary FBX issue could be solved by using Autodesk’s FBX converter:

https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/fbx-converter-archives

Hi everybody. Our team is investigating this issue this morning. We’ll keep you in the loop as we make progress.

Mark

Hi everybody,

As an update, we have identified this problem. We’re working on fixing it, but there is a short term workaround…

When you download your exported file from SketchUp for Schools (or for Web), simply rename the file extension to ZIP. If you open the ZIP, you should see the assets for your exported file.

Mark

Thank you for taking the time to help me solve this issue. I will try the short term workaround.

Go to solution :slight_smile:

You can directly import .skp format to Blender using FREE add-on.

Feel free to check my latest work Making of House V. Modeling in SketchUp, Rendering in Blender, Post production in Affinity Photo :slight_smile: