Noobie question - trying to turn model/sketch into reality

Hi there everyone, I’m pretty new to this stuff but I had some ideas for a woodworking project which I managed to model and now I want to use my model to create a cut list - or at least to find the angles for some of the compound angle cuts I have…
The problem is that I created the model by taking a solid cube and truncating one corner of it, so it’s not in separate pieces - therefore no cut list possible.

I would’ve created it using components and all that good stuff but the point of my sketching the idea in SketchUp was that I don’t exactly KNOW how to build the thing in 3D.

In other words, I was hoping I could use my model to find the dimensions and angles for my cut list but can’t seem to figure out how to do this or even if it’s possible.

Hopefully it is and you all can tell me how!

Thanks
Bennett

Depnding on the model, you might be able to split it into its component parts but most likely the easiest option is redraw it. When I start modeling using a big blob like that, I will move it back in the model space and use it as a reference for drawing the furniture piece with separate components.

And SketchUp does not yet have angular dimensions, but you can measure them with the Protractor Tool, and then just use a text callout to document the angle.

But,… there is a plugin that creates something that “mimics” an angular dimension:

http://sketchucation.com/plugin/1670-draw_angle_dim

It requires you to create an account at SketchUcation, but it is free (even though they promote the "Premium Membership, just scroll down to you see the free sign up link.)

A good extention for finding accurate angles between two faces is:
https://extensions.sketchup.com/nl/content/angle-between-faces

This extention requires you to select an edge (right click on an edge) that bounds two (no more) faces in the same modeling context. (i.e. both faces either basic or both in the same (nested) group or component). The right clicked context menu of the edge shows the angle between both faces.

If you have three or more faces bounded by the same edge you can temporarily group two faces and “measure” the angle inside the group. Then “Undo” the grouping again. Just an idea.

I agree with Dave that you would be well advised to work out the details in your SketchUp model where there is no wood wasted if you get it wrong. If you can’t figure it out in SketchUp you probably won’t be able to figure it out in reality either! One of the things I like about modeling in SketchUp is that I can sort out all the details of cuts and joinery before committing anything to the saw. I’d rather discover that two tenons collide inside a leg by examining the drawing than by finding I can’t push a glue-coated part fully into place!

Could you upload the model so we could have a look and see how hard it would be to redraw with components? I’m not offering to finish it if it is complex, but just to get an idea of how hard it would be for you either to fix it yourself, or redraw from scratch.

If it is less than 3MB in size, use the 7th icon above where you type your post to upload the SKP file here. If it is bigger, put it on a file-sharing site like Dropbox or OneDrive and put a link here.