New Tags and Scenes

Hello! I am wondering if there is a way to prevent new tags from populating exsisting scenes. I am setting up scenes to use in layout for drafting styles and if I add new tags, they show up in all of the scenes.

You can use an extension to create those new tags to make sure they aren’t visible in existing scenes. Auto Invisible Layer will do it. Needs the name to be updated but it works just fine in 2020.

That is very helpful. I will try it.

1 Like

Wow! Ok. I am glad that it worked. It took me a little time. I had to restart the program to get it to function and after a little nightmare of trying to solve my problem with the scene manager - (Note to self: don’t turn off the scene save features ever!) I am in business with this extension. The only thing I am concerned about is that I will forget to turn on the extension every time I open the program, but it is a very useful extension for my needs!

You could set up a keyboard shortcut to activate it. Or you might consider creating your tags before you create all your scenes. that’s the way I work and it saves a lot of back and forth.

When will this be changed in sketchup?? This is bad workflow.

1 Like

When will what be changed? What is bad workflow?

The fact that the newly added tag is not turned off to invisible or hidden when created–that you have to manually change all of your scenes. Wouldn’t you agree?

No I wouldn’t agree. I have no problem managing my workflow to create tags and scenes. And the freely available plugin I mentioned two years ago is still available and works perfectly for those who need it.

1 Like

There’s no need to be insulting nor offended because someone doesn’t agree with you. And please don’t send me PMs to insult me.

I’m all in favor of improvements that make sense. I don’t believe that untrained users should be protected from themselves, though. They should learn to use the tools correctly.

Perhaps you should observe that yourself. What you wrote and deleted is still there to be read, for a day, I think.

2 Likes

I do work to try to understand why people make errors and I have spent many 100s of hours teaching other users how to use the tools correctly. I believe it makes more sense to educate others than dumb down the tools.

I would say that the tag/layer functionality is a case in point: Some of the comparable applications work the same as SketchUp (AutoCad, for instance) and some others the other way rouind. I wouldn’t say either approach is right or wrong. One day I would benefit from one and next day from the other.
Many new users seem to have decided that the correct way to do something is to press button A and get angry when told to press button B instead.

Same old song and dance. I hear what you guys are saying and I’m sorry Dave that you have not been compensated for all of your documentation you have created without pay. Crowd sourcing has become a way to improve software products and do away without proper documentation. Having this information out of the gates is too much to ask. Thanks for you help on the learning curve both of you.