My solution for "Failed to open document"

Hi everyone,

For the first time today I experienced the “Failed to open document”. After a little panic attack as my deadline is next week, I easily got it fixed. I copied the .skb file (which had the correct saving date and time, which the .skp didn’t) into another map and changed “.skb” to “.skp”. This solved my issue and I hope it helps you too.

Another tip I saw was to go to the properties of the file and recover a previous version.

Hope this helps!

Renaming the .skb to .skp does sometimes work although not always. We’ve seen plenty of examples of the .skb file being just as badly corrupted as the original .skp file. Still it’s worth a try to rename it. You should not need to move the file before renaming it.

The most common reason for the Failed to Open Document message is due to working on it while it is saved to an external drive or cloud storage. The safest option is to ensure the file is saved on the internal drive while you are working on it.

Another reason seems to be bad objects that have either been created by the user or downloaded from the 3D Warehouse. The latest version of SketchUp 2023 can usually identify those and remove them on opening though. Best practice for getting content from the 3D Warehouse is to download it into a separate SketchUp file so you can examine it to make sure that it is suitable for your project. If it isn’t, either clean it up or go back and look for a different one. Purge unused content from your project file regularly to keep it slim and trim.

BTW, please correct your forum profile. SketchUp 2023 would be the SketchUp Version and Windows 10 or Windows 11 would be the operating system since you have .skb files to rename. You should be able to identify the graphics card and add that, too.

Hey,

I desperately need some help on why my file won’t save on sketchup.

I press save as and nothing happens :frowning:

(This is on MacBook)

Your profile says you are using SketchUp for Schools which is web based. Saving is done to the cloud. What are you expecting? Give more details.

Please correct your forum profile. The operating system is not ‘2023’. It is some version of the Mac OS if you are using a MacBook.