Failed to open document

Hi all,

My 17yr old daughter is working on a school assignment in sketchup and after plenty hours of work, the file refuses now to open. I get message that the document ‘failed to open’, or sometimes ‘unexpected file format’. Already tried renaming to .skb, but no luck… Would anybody know a way around this ? WOuld very much appreciate your help !

Filip

Try opening another file, and importing this file. Also, try uploading to 3dwarehouse and see if our renderbots can open it and spit out other SketchUp versions (14, 15, 16, kmz) of it.

Hi Barry, many thanks for your suggestions.
Tried opening another file but importing the needed one afterwards didn’t work (file not found error).
Uploaded to 3D warehouse (Louise’s house) but renderbot couldn’t open. While trying it with another (Louise’s tuinhuis) did work…
Afraid I don’t really now how to spit our other versions as in 3rth suggestion…So no luck so far…

I meant, if you can upload to 3dwarehouse, it’ll spit out other versions for you. But since it can’t, it wont. If you PM me the file, I could try, but my file healing skills were more with LayOut than SketchUp.

Found first file call huis1. skp , could not open, looked at with Noted PAD ++ just the Sketch version noted tried different encoding with no joy looks like Chinese or like used, second opens ok simple model looks like Su 16, user should be able to save in other versions. Very simple model ->spacehardware just use save as for other versions.
Suggestions ; If you had backup set search for xxxx.skb vs just changing name it may be stored some place; for work save, save save; did you do serach for auto saves???

Hi Mac7595, thanks for your reply. The second ‘simple’ file was mainly just a test to compare the difference, It’s the huis1 we’re after and unfortunately fails to open. We searched the computer for autosaves but no luck there either …

huis1.skp (857.0 KB)

Summary

This text will be hidden

Hi Barry, uploaded the document,would be great if you could give it a try. Your file healing skills will defenitely be better than mine…

Hi Barry, uploaded the document,would be great if you could give it a try. Your file healing skills will defenitely be better than mine…

The file looks valid at the beginning… unfortunately, the person I’d turn to for looking at deeper issues is not at work this month, and you’re on Windows… I have a couple of Mac tricks I try, but sorry, no luck.

Did you find a fix? I’m having the same issue here.