My.sketchup or sketchUp school for ipads?

Is there anything in the works for a touch sensitive ipad friendly version of my.sketchup? I tried using the browser application (chrome and also safari) but things got wonky fast. Would it work better if I used a keyboard?

Tablet computers (like iPads) use multi-touch interaction with your fingers to replace a keyboard and mouse. SketchUp was designed for computers with a keyboard and mouse, so there are many things about working without them that will make working on an iPad a frustrating experience for now. For now, my.SketchUp works best on a computer with a keyboard and mouse.

You can use our SketchUp Viewer application for iOS to get a sense for how a multi-touch capable version of SketchUp might work in the future, but of course we don’t yet have a full set of modeling features available there.

john

Can anyone tell me how to right click on an ipad using my.sketchup?

Exactly- that’s the sort of problem I’m describing. Since there isn’t a mouse available on your iPad, there also isn’t a right mouse button. Which is how SketchUp is expecting to be notified that you want to invoke a context menu.

Unfortunately, we just aren’t ready to support my.SketchUp (either as a web application or as a full native client application) on tablets quite yet. But I hear many requests for us to support SketchUp modeling on iPads and other similar devices. I hope we’re able to better support those requests with future products.

john

For those looking for something like Sketchup on iPad there are a few good alternatives:

• for those doing things like architectural models, Autodesk Formit is very similar to Sketchup in many ways
  • for those doing modelling of objects or 3d printing, Shapr3D is very nicely designed and natural to use with pencil and multi-touch

It would still be awesome if Sketchup were to have a true iPad version, but since we’re moving towards iPads here, as are many schools, we’re glad there are some good alternatives.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.