My SketchUp model is slow

Everytime I click on my model to do ANYTHING it freezes - very frustrating! I just want to change materials on somethings and it has taken me an hour to change a few things! I have purged my model- is there anything else I can do??

Probably there is something but itā€™s hard to say what without seeing the SKP file. Could you share it?

The first two places to look are at the model info statistics and your list of extensions. If you have millions of faces and edges or hundreds of materials, the model is going to overwhelm any computer. If you have some kinds of extensions (especially renderers) going, they can also slow things down dramatically, especially if the outliner window is open. Itā€™s also possible you have hardware acceleration disabled, which will make the view window sluggish as you rotate, pan, zoom, etc.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if it works- very large file

Is there anything to do if there is too many edges?

You could try splitting your model up into logical sections, moving each section onto a different layer, then turning every layer off except for the one youā€™re actually working on. The next step after that is to physically split the model into separate files.

1 Like

Thank You Alan! This was a very helpful quick fix !!!

Is there a way to delete unwanted layers?

Select them in the Layers window and hit the - in the circle at the top.

If you have many large components imported from the 3D warehouse these can easily slow down your model. Try using more simple imported models.

Try as well the ā€œFix Problemsā€ button beside the purge button.

You can also try to select everything in the file and copy it into a new skp file.

Good luck, I am all too familiar with the struggle of a slow model!

Now I have another question - my model is getting better but I think I could clean it up more- Im noticing I created alot of groups, within groups, within groups- is this bad? is there anyway to ungroup things easily?
Now that I have all of my different kinds of elements on separate layers I should be able to do a nice clean re-grouping of everything- is it worth my time?
thank you so much for your help everyone!

Itā€™s good practice not to have too deep an arrangement of sub-groups. Try to keep things reasonably simple. If you have to group stuff (to keep the geometry from sticking) during construction, then make an attempt to ungroup it when youā€™re done.

The easiest way of sorting out a model and simplifying its hierarchy is not by randomly burrowing into groups in the drawing window, but by using the Outliner, which will also give you a clearer overview.

3 Likes

Yes Alan & kwinch , I use:

1. thomthomā€™s ā€˜cleanupā€™ to get rid of extras
  2. sketchucationā€™s extension managers to quickly disable extensions not currently needed
  3. JBB Layers Panel to organize layers and turn off whole groups not currently needed
  4. review of the whole model to confirm all appropriate groups are components and non-duplicated (I also use outliner to drag-drop nested groups/components and re-nest/rename them to ā€˜clean the hierarchyā€™)
  5. THEN create duplicate files ā€œfile0 file1 file2ā€ and delete about half (interior vs. exterior?) from file1 and the other half from file2, while carefully maintaining the original origin/axes to simplify remerging laterā€¦

Where in the heck are the ā€œFix Problemsā€ and Purge buttons?

Window>Model Info>Statistics.

Thanks Dave

My model has become super slow (at least 1 hour to respond).
I did use thomthomā€™s cleanup, it found issues but did not resolve the main slowness issue. When I open the windows task manager I see that SU is consuming about 20% of my system (CPU is a 6 core processor), running the latest Win10). Iā€™m running the free version of SU, v 16.

I could not find the extension manager in the extension warehouse. Suggestions?

I just installed the JBB Layers Panel but found the videos worthless thus Iā€™m lost regarding the usage. To me the videos areā€™ just a bunch of clicking and typing, I have no idea what the heck the author of the video is doing.

BTW I did notice that my model has become large, currently 34MB. I copied a portion from another model to create this model. The original model is only 24MB and has components much more complex than the portion Iā€™m working on.

Sorry to be so obtuse, there is a LOT about SU that I donā€™t know. I attempted to ZIP my file and attach it but it is 6MB and the largest file I can attach is 3MB. I also tried splitting the zip file into multiple parts but this forum (#@)&#@$)*() will not allow me to attach the split file ā€œTrue Value Pegboard Unit x.z01ā€. I also tried creating a RAR file but again the darn forum will not allow me to attach a RAR file.

OK letā€™s see if this works. I created a DropBox and here is the link > Dropbox - File Deleted

I have to say thatā€™s the thickest pegboard Iā€™ve ever seen!

Itā€™s no wonder itā€™s behaving slowly with all those small holes. Almost 322,000 edges. You could reduce the number of sides used for drawing the circles that define the edges of the holes. I expect at that size, 12 would be plenty. Or better, use a pegboard texture image. You canā€™t reduce the number of sides on all those holes efficiently but it wouldnā€™t be that difficult to redraw it.

FWIW, thereā€™s no face on one side (shown above) and the faces are reversed. Correcting the face orientation would be easy. Replacing the face and re-cutting all the holes would take much longer than drawing it correctly from scratch.

Hereā€™s an example of a sheet of pegboard using a texture. Open it and see how much more easily and faster you can use it. I just took the first likely pegboard image I found.
Pegboard.skp (153.3 KB)

1 Like

After posting I discovered that one side of the pegboard was missing (I double-checked the model from the warehouse and the side was missing, e.g. I again downloaded the model and check). I replaced it with another model that was complete.

The reason it was so thick, I was attempting to move it when the model seem to freeze. Of course I then click, pressed different keys and nothing happened. I left the system and came back a couple of hours later and noticed the really thick pegboard. I should have deleted it then but I kept trying to reduce it to the proper size only to encounter the super slow response.

I really like your idea of the texture. It is now my pegboard model of choice.

BTW after replacing the original pegboard with a completed model the response was much better but Iā€™m sure using your model it would again be better. Iā€™ just removed the pegboard model and replaced it with your texture model. The save took about 25 seconds and the size is about 41MB. Still much longer on the save than I expected and the size is still large. I assume I still have some issues.

I reran the clean extension, now the save is super fast and the size has dropped to 228,470.
Much thanks for your help, I looked at the Outliner and I still have a lot to learn to be effective with it.True Value Pegboard Unit.skp (223.1 KB)
Here is my latest version.

Iā€™m glad it helped.

Strangely, youā€™ve managed to delete the front face of the pegboard sheet and paint the back faces that remain with the pegboard texture. Here Iā€™ve switched to Monochrome face style so you can see the back faces inside the panel and that thereā€™s a missing face.

The Outliner is very helpful in visualizing how the components and groups are arranged. In your model, you have an odd arrangement with some nesting that results in a difficult model to work with.

I did some other fixing and got rid of the unneeded nesting. There are a number of dimensions that werenā€™t very precise due to the units and precision you had selected with the template. I increased the precision and turned off Length snapping. Then I cleaned up the parts. I took the liberty of making all the groove, rabbets and dadoes the same depth. Thatā€™ll make it easier to cut them. And I put rabbets on the shelf ends so it can be made at the same time as the top and bottom. Itā€™ll be identical to the bottom until it gets its back cut off so the pegboard can go past it.

True Value Pegboard Unit (1).skp (233.0 KB)