My Floor Plan Model Disappeared Completely

Hi, my sketches model disappeared as I was zooming in and now all I see is a blank window. I really have no clue what happened. I tried zooming out, using different camera views and still don’t see anything. Please help. I know it’s still there because of the file size but have no idea how to fix this. Below is a gdrive link to my file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12wX_i80nolKBgWX7Rrv-d4QNgCOrmYO7/view?usp=sharing

Did you try shift + Z?

The model is still there but judging by the way it strangely orbits and disappears and the amount of text in the model, my first guess would be that some text might have flown off somewhere. I’m on tenterhooks trying to do much as the file size is so large. The style used has the model axis turned off, it could do with turning back on.

Capture2

Layers aren’t being used correctly as the active layer is not layer 0.

Capture

You have fallen victim to a known, but not yet fixed bug that affects Texts attached to 2D drawings when the faces anchoring the Texts are deleted or replaced. To recover you need to isolate the defective texts and delete them. The simplest way is to select all (ctrl-A) and then remove the items near the origin by means of a selection box while holding shift. Then delete the remaining selection and finally do a zoom-extents. Depending on the degree to which Texts have been corrupted, you might have to repeat this process more than once.

Edit: On further examination of your model, you also have a rather large number of dimensions. Because dimensions are locked to the screen and don’t scale when you zoom, these make your model almost impossible to use when zoomed out (as @IanT’s image shows). Things are more or less ok when I zoom in on an individual floorplan (see image) but useless on my monitor when zoomed out because they look like what Ian showed, which makes it very difficult to navigate the model through the clutter! I have to assume you have a very large monitor and a quite powerful computer if you can work with this model!

Thank you for taking time to reply! How were you able to make the file visible? I can’t delete the text without making it visible first.

Hi IanT, thank you for taking the time to look into it. Can I ask you how you were able to make the model visible?

I went to the outliner and right clicked a component, then chose “zoom selection” from the context menu. That component is now visible. Now keeping the cursor on a component very carefully zoom out while also panning to bring everything into view. If I go too far it disappears and I have to repeat the process, then follow @slbaumgartner 's instructions to clear the trouble.

You need to edit the in model style to turn the “model axis” back on and also turn on “guides” so you can see both of these. You have lots of guides in your model that I suppose you don’t need! To delete them go to >Edit>Delete Guides.

EDIT I should add that it’s probably best to make all of your layers visible when you do this. I think I saw some with visibility turned off down in the list. It’s late here and the mind is slipping…

1 Like

Thank you so much!!! That was extremely helpful!!!:slight_smile: phew, glad to know that its not all gone.

Actually I used some exploratory Ruby code to investigate what was going on in your model and then erase the offending parts, but since that code is not published I suggested a method that doesn’t require it. Ian’s way will work, though you have to be very careful while zooming out, since if the cursor strays out of the selected component you may suddenly get a zoom to never-never land that you didn’t want!

On another note, I’m not sure why you are drawing your model the way you are. You have what appears to be 24 copies of the same building in various stages of detail. Instead of drawing the same thing (or copying it over and over) you could create scenes and use layers to hide details from one scene to another. That would immediately cut the size of the file down by a factor of 24 or more and make it much easier to work with! It would also let you keep all the geometry closer to the origin instead of spreading it out over a large area.

That said, you also need to learn to use SketchUp’s layers appropriately. All edges and faces should be drawn on layer0 and left there. Create Groups and Components for collections of edges and faces that constitute a “thing” such as a wall, and associate that Group or Component with a layer. It is also ok to associate dimensions and text with layers, as they are not geometry per-se.

Finally, when you need to add so many dimensions and annotations it is far better to use Layout than to draw them in SketchUp. That would avoid the issues we are seeing.

PS: I’d send you a cleaned up version, but your model completely overwhelms my somewhat modest computer and causes a crash when I try to save the edited version!

1 Like

Thank you slbaumgartner, I really appreciate your insight!! I definitely should learn to use those layers correctly;) The reason I’m copying it over and over is because I’m moving the walls a lot, will be looking into how to work with scenes and layers…

Would you be able to send a cleaned up version if I attach a link of just one of the copies?

Yet another observation. You have incorporated various “entourage” groups and components, most likely from the 3DWarehouse, that are way over-detailed for their value in the model. Perhaps when you are done and want to zoom up close such details may be worthwhile, but while building the model they are just overwhelming SketchUp and making the model hard to work with. There are two ways to deal with this. 1) find simpler models for things whose details are ultimately too small to see, or 2) use one of the various available “proxy” extensions to let you swap the detailed components for simpler ones while drawing and then swap the detailed back in when you need them. Here are some examples of things with dubious need for such detail:

20%20PM

16%20PM

I can try, though that begs questions: unless you can repair the model yourself, how are you going to create a link to just one of the copies? And if you have repaired it, what can I add?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.