Moving dimension text

Is there a way to move dimension text along a dimension line? SketchUp automatically centers the text and I’d like to be able to “slide” it to one side of another (closer to arrows) as to clear the text from crossing dimensions. I realize there may be a way to do it in Layout, but I’m using the free version at this moment.

Right-click the note. Select Text Position, then choose Outside Start, Centered, or Outside End. Still not as flexible as may be desired, but it’s something. Unfortunately, you still can’t flip the arrowheads (i.e., “arrows out”).

-Gully

If you keep the dimension text outside the dimension line you could edit the text and add a bunch of spaces.

It’s no as good of a solution as adding dimensions in LayOut but it’s something.

I had thought of the spaces solution, but thought something better may have existed. This might be the best solution for me as I typically put the dims inside the line, not above. Thanks.

Possibly not the most elegant method of formatting one could ask for.

-Gully

1 Like

Good idea - but this puts it outside the dimension. Maybe the powers that be will provide a solution in future updates.

No, Gully, you’re right. Dimensioning in LayOut would be more elegant. But you get what you pay for.

That is, of course, the idea. As far as it goes, it’s a legitimate way to arrange a dimension.

-Gully

I’d love to have Layout - it would solve a bunch of problems - but since I just use it for personal projects swinging the $700 is still a little steep for me.

1 Like

I agree. I guess Layout would be the answer to my $700 question… :slight_smile:

Understood. So you have to live with a little inelegance. Not the end of the world, though.

1 Like

This goes to the heart of my long-standing issues with SU and dimensioning. There is nothing that makes dimensioning, tolerancing, and annotating a model inherently a 2D operation or that makes a 2D piece of paper the best medium for presenting dimensional information. This represents an archaic mindset and prevents 3D modeling from eclipsing 2D drawings altogether, which ultimately, it will do. I guess the current generation has to die off first.

-Gully

1 Like

Or - perhaps the powers that be at the SketchUp factory intended it this way so you might drop the $700? I can see both sides. There is no reason a 3D model cannot/should not be suitable for dimensioning - but I do see the “place” for it in the 2D world side of things too. Maybe I’m somewhere between the generation that needs to die off and the new generation…