Modeling a workbench AND creating drawing from LayOut - LIVE!

Do you have some thick stuff for the ends? If not, I would do regular dovetails between the ends and the front apron. I would join the ends to the top with a tongue and groove and maybe a short section of sliding DT at the back end.

Yessir. I got 4 boxes of oak for free… just enough to never finish a room in my house. Also the finish was not “our style” so I am slowly ripping and laminating it to other uses.

1 Like

I have one thick chunk of walnut in my stash and I’m feeling to chintzy to use it on my workbench when it could become something more epic. I’d have to glue up a thick piece to do that end.

1 Like

The mortisse/tenon in the legs will need a notch to meet up w/ one another.

Screenshot 2020-07-16 11.14.37

Yes, 100% taking it from The Anarchist’s Workbench.

1 Like

Hey!! No spoilers!!

1 Like

LOOK AWAY AARON!

(I keep getting an error from Discourse saying that isn’t a sentence. Stupid Discourse.)

Maybe like this then?

Yah… that. I guess I’m just calling the “tongue and groove” a breadboard but have no plan to get too deep. I have enough walnut that I could glue up a thicker end. I “inherited” a nice supply of walnut so there is plenty to work with.I feel like I have enough that I could match end-grain enough to make it still look purdy.

1 Like

Funny story about Winston Churchill, who would appear in front troops displaying his intended V for Victory sign, but with his thumb towards himself instead of toward his audience. Someone had to explain to him why the troops were laughing.

These new pictures are pretty good resolution. I think they will do nicely as is.

You could also forego the sliding DT and just put some screws in counterbored slots.

Screws? SCREWS!? Dave… this is Fine Furniture. @TysonK can tell you how I feel about screws and fasteners in Fine Furniture.

1 Like

I meant that they would be only the finest wooden screws made of Peruvian maple and finished with a highly polished sheen.

1 Like

Don’t indulge him Dave, you’ll only make it worse.

1 Like

LOL. I should’ve known.

1 Like

Pretty sure I remember using screws on the last bit of furniture I got from IKEA…

… waiting for explosion…

2 Likes

Screws are fine as long as you use a hammer on them. Makes the ikea stuff a breeze to put together.

6 Likes

Here’s where I managed to get from the drawings last night. (No copying Aaron)!

1 Like

My thoughts on the rebate/rabbet/groove thing…