Modeling a workbench AND creating drawing from LayOut - LIVE!

Modeling a workbench from hand drawings in SketchUp, then generating drawings in LayOut, live! Join us!!

2020-07-17T18:00:00Z

Join us on YouTube, Facebook, or Twitch!

9 Likes

I bet that being hand drawn and at an angle was part of the challenge. In case not, I straightened them a bit, and cleaned them up. As well as making them higher resolution.

Why straighten them, the dimensions are given so there’s no need to be tracing them.

I am easily amused.

2 Likes

Yeah… I will likely just use the dimensions… and going to be tapping the creator of some images with less geometry clipped

1 Like

As long as the creator isn’t @jody, I’m with you on that.

What had he done wrong this time?

I see a heart icon under this post… but that seems incorrect. Where is the middle finger (:fu:)… or as an Englishman, I suppose you deserve the… peace sign?

2 Likes

And straight lines are over rated anyway.

1 Like

Agreed. Much easier to sand to a crooked line, anyway.

So do I take it from your sketches that you are a leg vise man? :smiley:

1 Like

Nothing. I have a feeling that the bench is Jody’s, and I was making fun of him. He’s a nice chap, with a good sense of humor.

1 Like

For those who can’t see straight.

1 Like

Yessir. I’m trying to decide if I want to mount a tail vice or what I’ll do. And true to form, my current plan is already adding a bit of an apron to the front so I have more than 2 7/8" of edge.

So, who has opinions about Walnut as a usable hardwood for a workbench top (which will see lots of chiseling & sawing and general physical abuse) with material being white oak?

1 Like

Colin I just re-uploaded Aaron’s images… in case you want to work your magic on the new stuff w/ better cropping.

1 Like

Walnut would make a good top if you have plenty of it. Rarely do you find quarter sawn walnut so you probably want to do something like oversize the mortises on the back two legs slightly. Don’t glue the top down to them.

You could put a piece on vertically at the front to give you a tall apron so you could add some dog holes for a hold fast. Notch the front legs accordingly so the apron is flush with the front faces. You could put dog holes up the front of the right leg, too, unless you want to use a deadman or a board jack.

It’s mostly white oak, I’m going to do a 3/4" walnut edge on each side, trying to work out whether to simply breadboard walnut on the end end that dovetails into those edges that don’t exist yet, or to do a sliding dovetail the full length. (Maybe even houndstooth, but that’s me getting ambitous.)

3 Likes

Have you considered craft sticks?

1 Like

. . . or coffee stirrers?

I’ve been looking at the drawings and I am confused around the vice area and the left hand side. What’s going on with that?
… and where the side and end horizontal beams join the legs - are they at the same height - cos the mortises will clash?

Is that a bunch of flooring turned on edge?