Microsoft Surface Pro X & SU Pro 2019

Hello, I am considering purchasing a new Microsoft Surface Pro X, 16 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD and want to confirm that 2019 SU Pro will work seamlessly on the laptop. Please let me know what (if any) if specific technical components should be specified. Thanks

What graphics card is in the Surface Pro X?

Microsoft SQ1 Adreno 685 GPU
Thanks

Not familiar with that one but a short search turns up a website that includes this information:

Considering that SketchUp requires a GPU that properly supports OpenGL, I would personally take a pass on this.

3 Likes

Thanks…

The table in the Wikipedia article indicates that there may be a OpenGL driver project “In Progress” …

It’s listed as “freedreno driver” which is an open source project …

… so unless you want to compile code and install yourself (possibly causing issues,) you’d need to get a higher end Surface product with a dedicated GPU. Ie :

• Surface Studio 2 (w/ Nvidia GTX graphics)

• Surface Book 2 (w/ iCore i7 & Nvidia GTX graphics)
    (ie, the i5 models have poo-poo Intel integrated graphics)

• Surface Laptop 3 (w/ AMD Ryzen GPU using Vega graphics)

2 Likes

:laughing: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It (Probably) Won’t.

SketchUp does not yet (JAN 2022) have a 64bit ARM compiled build available.

The last x86 32bit build of SketchUp that might run under emulation is v2016 M1.

But as noted above, the Adreno graphics do not support OpenGL (which is a must.)

Colin, confirmed this in this topic:

Running SketchUp 2016 32 bit on Surface Pro 7 (ARM)

1 Like

Interesting to read what I said over a year ago! One interesting thing is that SketchUp does seem to run ok in Parallels with Windows 11. I’m not sure if that is via x64 or arm64, but initially Parallels only gave arm64, and SketchUp would not run.

I will check if the ‘team’ have new thoughts about Surface Pro X, given things that have been learned in the last year.

1 Like

From what I see on Microsoft’s store site, the latest Surface Pro 7s are now iCore machines.