SU on Surface Pro X

There are a few posts regarding running SU on a Surface Pro X but they don’t seem to come to a definitive resolution so I need some clarification. Preferably in a yes or no format with a brief explanation as to why.

Will I be able to load SU onto a Surface Pro X (Windows 10 Home) without complications and if so will I be limited to some versions of SU?

As always, thanks for your help and expert advice!

‘No’. Because those use an ARM processor, and there is no ARM version of SketchUp. In theory you could use SketchUp 2016 as 32 bit, they are able to emulate 32 bit x86, but then there is another problem if the computer is locked down and can only install apps from Microsoft’s store.

But, the web version will work, including SketchUp Shop.

1 Like

No. The device cannot run 64-bit applications based on the x64 architecture, being based on the ARM architecture processors. I would be sceptical about trying an old pre-v.2016 32-bit version of Sketchup on it.

Thanks for the quick reply gentlemen. Much appreciated.
I’m thinking of going with the Surface 2 instead.

Are you referring to the new Surface Book 2? Pricey but at least you can get a dedicated GPU.

Surface Pro X is something else, an ARM processor range. Not like the normal x86 Surface Pro.

I saw dcurtis later post about Surface 2, now I understand what you meant!

Yes, initially I was. But I’ve been looking at alternatives for the last hour and I’m getting confused on Microsoft’s product offerings. Surface Pro 7,Surface Pro 2, Surface Pro 3? Yikes… One thing I do know is it’s got to run SU!

1 Like

Well there are Surface “clones” out there :wink: Just not sure ANY have the power (graphics) that the Surface Book 2 has. Yes, the ability to run SU IS a must. Good luck.

Yes, lots to consider. Some of these product pages generate more questions than provide basic answers. I’ll eventually figure it out. I was just caught up in wanting a Surface Pro X. Great design and neglected the ARM thing. Speedy processor, low power, but runs next to nothing. What’s not to like? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Now that Windows 10 ARM has 64 bit emulation. Wonder if SU would work on it.
It does work pretty fine under Mac ARM, M1 Rosetta emulation.

I have a Surface Book 2 and it runs SketchUp 2021 just fine. One thing to be aware of when thinking about purchasing a Surface Book 2 or 3 is that the graphics card is in the base so if you are running SketchUp and decide to detach the screen the computer will send you a message telling you to shut down SketchUp before allowing you to detach the screen. The once the screen is detached from the base the touch screen will revert to the Intel UHD card which is…well…just not that great honestly…you will get lag especially when the program is trying to regen…just something to be aware of. My old Surface Book 2 with the i5 and 8 gigs of RAM ran SketchUp better than my new book with the screen detached…I have no idea why…but I was pretty disappointed.

Just something to think about…

I occasionally run SU-Pro 2021 on my 2016 Surface Pro 4 which works fine - it even runs Vray 5 although rather slowly.

I regularly use a plugin on my PC called Undet which will not run on my Surface Pro. The error message says “this plugin will not run on a virtual machine”.

I have no idea what that means?

Surface Pro 2 is an i7 or something on those lines. I think the question was about Surface Pro X, and other machines that run a ARM version of Windows 10. Until December those could only run 32 bit Windows applications, since December they have been working on handling 64 bit Windows applications as well.

I’m taking it that SU 2021 won’t run on my surface pro x just gifted to me for the sole purpose of being able to use sketch up or similar programs for landscape design. hoping this is not 100% true and can be fixed. I keep. getting the error during install that it can’t install visual c ++ 2015-2019 I select continue install then it crashes saying install wizard was interrupted. tried so many things suggested in other threads and got to the point I feel perhaps I simply can’t run/install SU on my surface pro x

here is the specs of my device can anyone confirm if its a yes or no???

Device name Geoscapesurfacepro
Processor Microsoft SQ2 @ 3.15 GHz 3.15 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.5 GB usable)
Device ID EC502FBD-8DBB-44FF-B861-0734002F69F9
Product ID 00342-23778-10563-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, ARM-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎8/‎05/‎2021
OS build 19042.964
Serial number 019476104353
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

graphics card
SQU adreno 680
7922mb memory

You are right. SketchUp for Windows requires a processor based on the x86 architecture, from Intel or AMD to run. On the new Mac computers it can run by using the built-in emulator, but I don’t think the Surface Pro X has 64-bit Intel emulation.

Today i installed beta version of Windows 11 on Surface Pro X and checked if there is any progress in SU operation. I use SU Pro 2021.
First run ended with failure (OpenGL incompatible device). Then i downloaded OpenGL/CL compatibility patch from Windows Store.
After that, everything seems to be working fine. I haven’t checked plugins behavior yet (i’ll do Iit later - i use 3skeng and step importer mainly).
I was able to open quite large file (~50 MB) succesfully. Graphics performance is rather sluggish (compared to Ryzen 4800h integrated graphics card) - especially while moving and rotating the view. Anyway it’s workable.
I mainly draw lot of piping, valves, water tanks etc.
It seems that SketchUp works at last on Surface Pro X.

1 Like

Not on SPX but can confirm SU runs fine on W11.

x64 emulation is only available on Windows 11 on ARM

you are on windows11 right?

Yes. Why are you bumping a 2 month old thread? My profile says that.

I was just looking for information about Sketchup and Pro X… it’s a recent discussion and it seems fair to post information here rather than opening another request: it helps keep the information organized.

I understood you were answering the initial question by claiming that sketchup doesn’t work on SPX, so I wanted to warn you that with windows 11 it works in emulation.

At least that’s how it should be…right?