Medeek Wall

Would this mean the license I have already would basically be renewed?

Also, I just want to say thanks again for creating these awesome tools. The homeowner of the house we designed and built using the mdkBIM suite will be moving in pretty soon.

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

But wouldn’t it be possible for me to call on your regen method inside your namespace directly from my code? Like, without you needing to do anything additional? I just need to know how to call the method, right?

Unless there’s a more obvious way for me to do that I’m not aware of? Like triggering commands in the menus from ruby?

1 Like

Awesome, I love to see actual work done with the plugins, please post a couple more pictures of this project on the thread and I will give you a free renewal of your plugins (additional one year of upgrades for each plugin).

The current mdkBIM promotion (Thanksgiving/Black Friday) is technically for new customers. I should probably also run a renewal promotion in conjunction with the current promotion. Let me give that some thought.

1 Like

Technically yes.

I already have a regen method that I use, however I need to look at it a bit more closely because it probably is dependent on some other methods that are called prior to it being called (prerequisites) to process everything.

I need to have a regen method that can be called from outside the namespace into mine that also encompasses any global variables (Medeek globals) or any other prerequisites. I’m already 99% there I just need to verify and test to make sure it works as intended.

Yes, it would be a simple single call, passing it one variable (the wall assembly group).

1 Like

We started this project in May and construction began in July of 2021.

It’s a two-story 3,728sq/ft house (including the garage and excluding the wrap-around porch).

I along with my brothers David (Left) and Ryan (Right) built the foundation, the framing, plumbing, exterior siding, and roofing. We installed the windows and doors. We hung, mudded, sanded, and painted the drywall. We subbed out the HVAC, insulation, and the homeowner did the electrical with his father. We had some help for a week here and there from some friends that came to visit us.

It all began with a pile of sand.

At this point, there isn’t much more to do than flooring and trim. Soon we’ll be ready for appliances and the homeowner can move in!

7 Likes

Impressive! Love this build.

The real life comparison versus the model is very cool.

You are good for upgrades on all plugins out to March of 2023.

This offer also still holds for other users as well who are willing to post up pictures of real life projects in which they have used the plugins.

2 Likes

Single call:

Medeek_Engineering_Inc_Extensions::MedeekWallPlugin::Wall::MedeekMethods.wall_regen entity

Where the entity is the wall group.

I will release this feature with the next update which should be out in a day or two. I’m currently working on a major upgrade to the in-wall column module so I kind of have things pulled apart at the moment.

2 Likes

Awesome!

I suppose my only other request at this point would be some sort of “hook” that would allow me to trigger my own custom method right before any wall gets generated or regenerated.

So if I’m drawing a wall, as soon as I click the end point, I want Medeek to trigger my custom method before generating the wall. My idea is that I’d like to be able to modify the wall attributes just prior to the wall being generated. So I’d want the attributes from the Medeek window to be written to the wall group first, then call my method to modify them using my custom script. Not sure if that’s as easy as it sounds, lol.

Some ideas I have for use cases:

• Modifying stud spacing and ply automatically based on which level of the building the wall is on, by referencing a parent object’s tag assignment. (I’d wrap all the first floor walls in a group and tag it with “First Floor” tag.)
  • Using the “WALL GROUP” field in the wall parameter input window as a way to control many parameters at once.
  • Use the “WALL GROUP” field to tag walls as “Non-load-bearing” to override all door and window headers to be 2 2x4s installed flat.
  • Sometimes I have structural engineers schedule jack & king studs for each beam/header type, instead of it being a general relationship to the width of the opening. So I’d be able to read which beam I have selected for an opening, and my script can automatically choose the correct jack & king studs.

Many opportunities, like you’ve said.

1 Like

It’s already something substantial.

3 Likes

#Bug

There seems to be a mismatch with the parameters in the Wall copy tool window. Many of the parameters do not match the parameters of the wall that was sampled.

1 Like

Yeah, that doesn’t look right. I’m looking at it right now.

Did you uninstall the plugin before installing the latest version?

I just noticed a couple minor annoyances with the subtract function, and it’s probably the result of SketchUp’s own boolean operation anyway:

1. If you paint individual faces, the geometry that’s produced by a subtraction takes on the texture of the cutting object, not the surrounding object surfaces. You can address this by using the “default” color for faces (both object and cutter), and paint the containers instead, and indeed your plugin paints sheathing as a container, not the individual faces.

2. The raw geometry generated by the subtraction takes the Layer/Tag of the cutting object, not the cut object nor “Untagged.” That means if you hide the cutting object by turning off it’s Layer/Tag, the raw geometry that’s part of the remaining object also disappears leaving the object looking hollow even though solid tools reports it’s a solid. Putting raw geometry on a different Tag is contrary to SU’s official “best practices” proclamations, so it’s curious when their own tools create this.

2 Likes

Standing the 2" x 4" up on edge is a stronger header. They will deflect easier laying in this configuration. This is not a standard header configuration even for a non load bearing header.

1 Like

I’m not getting this error with the wall copy tool. Can you send me a wall panel that is having this issue.

1 Like

I completely agree with you. If I were building it, it’s how I would do it too. In this case, I’m not the designer so I’m just following what the structural engineer specified:

1 Like

copywallbug.skp (730.3 KB)

I need to check if I’m running the latest version… Maybe that’s the issue…

That’s what I usually do when I update.

1 Like

Where I come from that is standard for non-loadbearing interior door framing. If you turn them upright you need a 1/2 osb spacer. That is why they are turned flat. The double member is so there is wood there for fastening the casing.

3 Likes

Trying to push out Version 2.5.3 however it appears that the SketchUp signing algorithm is having issues:

I can’t release any updates until this is fixed, unfortunately.

I know it is just not me because others are reporting the same issue, and I cannot sign previous releases that were processed fine just a few days ago.

P.S.
While I’m on the subject of extension signing, they really need to fix the algorithm so that it ignores text files that are found within the plugin folder(s). The signing algorithm should only be looking at the actual .rb or .rbe files.

2 Likes

I have confirmed the same with my extension.

1 Like

There was a newsletter about some maintenance that was going to occur, not sure if that would be the issue

1 Like